shuksan ski descent

Gaclimber

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In July or August, skiing the Fisher Chimneys wouldn't be too much fun. If you are set on skiing, it is much better to go in the spring and ski the Sulphide as a day trip, or the White Salmon. The Fisher Chimneys is a great route and well worth doing, it's just not a great ski in mid-summer.

Thanks Jason. I've climbed the chimneys before. What I'm trying to figure out is if it's feasible to climb up the chimneys and ski down another route. I passed a group coming down the chimneys who had come up another route. Would it be worth climbing up and skiing down the sulphide or white salmon? When I was standing on winnies slide I was looking down a slope that looked like it would make a terrific ski descent. I think that must have been the white salmon route. I don't know if skiing down it or getting out to a car would pose any route finding problems if I have never been up it.

Not to mention the brush bash out of the White Salmon valley would be especially epic in July or August. I always hang up the skis come July, but I'm not that dedicated to any one mountain discipline. When skis make a trip more enjoyable, I use them, but ski descents in high summer or later just involve too many shenanigans for my tastes.

Plenty of people do though, so yes it is possible to climb up the chimneys and descend the White Salmon. Bring some leather gloves.

The sulphide would be a much better ski in mid summer (though still not very good), but the car shuttle if climbing FC is problematic.

I skiied the Sulphide in August once, but it was not really worth it. I'm with you Jason, when there is fuffly white stuff I ski, otherwise I climb.

Oh, and I wouldn't count on skiing off the summit anytime in July or August.

Edited by DPS

Thanks for all the sage advice. Based on tr's I thought going out the white salmon might be too much of a bush bash. I guess the ski descent will have to wait for another spring although I may still skin back to lake ann depending on the snow conditions.