Mount Rainier (April/May)

Rowan1

I'm looking to put together a team to climb Rainier this spring (April/May). Me and two other climbers off Cascades attempted a winter climb of Rainier two years ago in December, but we didn't get past Dis. Clever because of avalanche risk. Despite being December, things were melting big time on south-facing slopes (we saw an ice chunk the size of a mini-van tumble down the Ingraham Direct). And there was other recent ice fall we could see, so we pulled the plug. Probably could've given it another try with an early alpine start, but you've still gotta get down, right.

I've climbed Mount Baker, Mount Hood, and have AST Level 1. I'm looking for a couple of reliable partners who are motivated and safe.

Cheers,

Rowan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested in joining your Rainier climb - I could be at the mountain as early as May 10th. I graduate college on May 9th. I am 27 and have been trying to find one or two other climbers for Rainier and haven't had any luck. I am starting to consider a guided ascent; however I would prefer to keep my $1000.

I've climbed Adams and Hood several times solo and with small parties. I am fit and always climb safely.

If you guys are interested, I would seriously like to set something up soon. I apologize for my hastiness; it's just that I want to climb the peak and if this doesn't pan out then I have to hold a spot on a guided climb and there's only a few spots left.

Enjoy the weekend

I could perhaps do Rainier 2nd weekend of April - I'd prefer to start on Friday though. I made another post regarding doing a Baker climb that weekend but depending on if you're still looking I'd be up for switching to Rainier, or if your Rainer plans fall through we could do Baker.

Hi there, sorry for the late response. Still interested in Rainier? I just booked May 15-19 off work. I have 2 other climbers who are potentially interested, but no one has confirmed yet. I live in Edmonton, AB so I would plan to travel to Rainier on Wed/Thurs (14/15) and then climb Fri, Sat, Sun (16,17,18), and travel back to Edmonton Sun/Mon.

Could you potentially make the 16,17 and 18 work for the climb?

Thanks,

Rowan

I'm definitely interested in this and I am available anytime from 3pm on Friday to 8am Monday morning (benefits of being a college student!). I've topped out on Rainier once this last season (after three previous attempts that were all shut down due to conditions) and have successfully climbed the North Cleaver of Adams. I've done Adams via the south side many times and managed to squeeze in climbs on Hood and Baker.

I'm very cautious in the mountains; that's probably why I turned around so much on Rainer lol.

Also, I'm only 20mins away from SeaTac airport if you need to be picked up and 1.75hrs away from Paradise if you need a yard to camp in(small house, but lots of flat grass to set a tent up on!).

Let me know if you guys have room for me,

- Austin

Edit: I'd be down for Baker as well!

Edited by Austin

It's good to hear from you! The fingers held up much better than expected (skiing and backpacking w/o issue). I've gotten most of the feeling back, save for one spot on my thumb where things are a little tingly.

The lib ridge sounds like a sick decent! I'll be looking forward to the TR. You should bring a GoPro or something for some video.

Climb safe.

Edited by Austin

Hey all, I will be out in Seattle next week. Looking to climb/ski the fuhrer finger. Heading up to Paradise on Sunday then to basecamp Sunday night or Monday to wait for a good weather day.

I would be open to any of the other routes beginning from Paradise.

Let me know if youre interested.

Phil

570-604-1196

Edited by mrwaffles989