Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

colonial n. face in feb. 2000

colonial01.jpg

colonial03.jpg

btw, i hope anyone contemplating going up there already knows this, but the basin below colonial is one of the most dangerous places in the cascades when avy. danger is high. this is just one of many criss-crossing avy. tracks we crossed:

colonial04.jpg

re-Both Colonial and Pyramid were a heck of a lot icier than that when Daylward and his buddy climbed Watusi a couple of years ago. I may have a picture of Pyramid somewhere, with FAT ice on it.

That's cool Mattp, this was just a friendly photo report for those interested. I guess I'll just keep future ice reports to myself. People can drive up there yourselves to check it out.

Personally I 'm sick of people responding in the fashion without thought. I never said that Colonial is in and mentioned that there was a possibility it could be in shape soon. Meaning next month or so. I do think that Pyramid was in and climbable but if you want to debate that then I dont really care to. I prefer to leave that frame of mind for political debates.

Thanks for the photos forrest.

RE-I think mattp was just commenting on the stark difference in conditions between then and now. I didn't detect any antagonism. It's an awesome photo in any case, and thanks for posting it.

Maybe so. I just read it like it was mostly talking about Pyramid Peak. I dont have any desire to climb Colonial at the moment and am not personally eyeballing it.

However I did like the looks of the EF of Pyramid Peak... Which if the snow conditions were better then I might have considered returning to climb the E or N Face.

Yo Cavey -

Slop is right. I wasn't dissing you. I merely stated that both peaks were significantly more formed up at that time. I might also have added that there was then three feet of snow along side the highway at Colonial Creek, and that the snow cover in the woods made an approach directly up the creek almost friendly. I figured this topic was intended to present information, and I thought mine was pertinent.

As long as we're all in our cubicles, consider these:

Here is a view of Colonial from the base of Pyramid Peak, on the day that Dan and Forrest completed their climb. You can see that there is a lot more snow on it than in Cavey's pic.

Colonial.jpg

And here is the east face of Pyramid, on the same day:

Pyramid.jpg

the climb may remain quite thin in el nino years. If the cascades are usually too low by a 1000' to be a mecca for winter climbing, what does it mean about warm, low snow years? But perhaps Colonial gets his share no matter what.

Edited by j_b

So she is the queen of the Ross Lake drainage.

Is it in right now?

I have not been there recently but I doubt it. It rained up to ~7000' late last week (and buckets), then it got plastered by some colder stuff but not much of it. So it does not sound good. And skiing probably sucks as well (or alternatively this could be classic cascade skiing: rain runnels that have a wavelength a significant fraction of ski length .... yuum!)

lambone, the road is generally plowed to ross dam, where the trail goes down to the lake at ross lake resort. this is at the top of the hill past (east of) the bridge at colonial creek campground and several miles beyond where you want to park your car. i think it is kept open to there so that maintenence workers can access the dam and its associated structures. ymmv, depending on snow conditions of course.

(darn you matt, you beat me to the draw not once but twice!)

Edited by forrest_m