Tieton River Canyon in mid April - Lava Point???

Khoi

I've been to Tieton River Canyon twice before.

The first time was end of June early July 2010, and it was quite hot at the Royal Columns and The Bend, but nice at Lava Point.

The second time was in mid/late July 2011, but it wasn't as hot. That time we climbed at the Royal Columns, South Fork, and Lava Point.

We're planning on climbing at Tieton River Canyon on April 17-18, en route to Moab/Indian Creek.

I'm hoping to do some climbing at Lava Point, especially Dream Wall, but will the road leading up to it still be covered in snow by then?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never know with the cascades in spring. I would say plan on multiple options.. Since you are on your way to Moab I wouldn't be too worried. Smith would be a more consistent option.

Some of my friends are taking the entire month of April off to go on a rock climbing road trip. They're doing Vantage --> Bishop --> Red Rocks --> Zion --> Moab/Indian Creek --> City of Rocks --> Smith Rock.

But a few of us, myself included, can't take the entire month off, so we're going to meet up with them in Moab/Indian Creek.

I was hoping to do a few days in Tieton before joining them. I haven't been there since 2011 and I kinda miss the place. I went to Vantage last year for the 3rd time, and I am not interested in climbing there this year. I know the Smith Rock (my FAVOURITE climbing destination!!! I go there every year, even if I am injured!) would be a GREAT spot to hit up in lieu of Tieton River Canyon, but we're already going there at the end of the trip.

I am not expecting to get rained out at Tieton, but I really want to do a bunch of climbing at Lava Point, especially at Dream Wall. The guidebook mentions that the road leading up to it could be snowed in as late as May. I have no idea how much snow Lava Point has received this season. Here in the Vancouver area, we have received very little snow so far. Even if there's just a moderate amount of snow, I'm hoping maybe we could park near the hwy and hike to the crag.

It doesn't look like its very far from the highway and I seem to recall Andy saying that is how it was originally accessed. So hiking up may not be a bad alternative. However it has a rather long open hillside above and if there is still snow covering it there may be some drippage. If I head over there before the end of the month I'll check it out.

I've spent several years climbing in the tieton area for whatever that is worth. I think you'll be fine, with the caveat being that spring, especially toward the western end of the canyon, there is a high chance of weather/precip. That area is open to sun and is pretty much south facing. Also, remember that wildcat rd goes right beneath it, so hiking up from there wouldn't be bad at all.

As you probably know, the dream wall and the wall up at the south fork is some of the best sport climbing in tieton.

You can definitely hike up from the highway if the Soup Creek road is snowed in. Watch for ticks. Even with snow on the ground, you can often drive far enough up the Soup Creek road to comfortably hike in. The road is usually snow free before May; in low snow years, I've driven nearly to the crag in February. I haven't been over there this winter so I don't know about the current snow levels, especially after our recent dumps.

Have fun!

Andy

You can definitely hike up from the highway if the Soup Creek road is snowed in. Watch for ticks. Even with snow on the ground, you can often drive far enough up the Soup Creek road to comfortably hike in. The road is usually snow free before May; in low snow years, I've driven nearly to the crag in February. I haven't been over there this winter so I don't know about the current snow levels, especially after our recent dumps.

Have fun!

Andy

Recent dumps?!

Has the area received snow in the past few weeks???