Got run over by a snowmobile while skinning!!!!!

jrex

I was planning on skiing Paulina Peak on Saturday and started hiking at 5am. I stayed in the woods or the side of the road as much as possible knowing that the snowmobiles would be zooming by at some point. Around 6:30 I hear the first ones and as I look over my right shoulder I see the thing coming right for me. I jump left as I was on the far left of the road and BAM he hits me in the back doing 30+ mph. My pack and helmet saved my ass. Both bindings exploded and my phone and other items damaged. I am sore as hell but over all we are both lucky to walk away. I am pretty sure he had tinted goggles making his visibility crap. He is lucky my whippet or ski didn't cut his head off. Stay safe out there. You never know when something or someone is going to smash you! I did get one lap in the day before and it was glorious!!!

P2221393.JPG

P2221451.JPG

P2221470.JPG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pack has several reflective bits plus my helmet is slimer green. The super bright moon helped also. He stopped and feels awful about it. A report is being filed with the police...The whole things sucks but it could have ended way worse.

shit happens, glad you're okay!

keep-on-trucking-heart-walk.jpg

We'll there was property damage at the minimum, so I'd think you'd need or want a police report if you're looking the get insurance to cover that. And just because you walked away and are "sore as hell" doesn't mean in two months you might still be dealing with something. A lingering back injury, doctors appointments, missed work, pt... As much as everything may be cool and worked out at the scene, you'd almost be foolish not to cover your bases with a police report. I'm no fan of police involvement but when bodily injury is involved it's just prudent, no different than if a car contacted a pedestrian or cyclist.

Glad you are okay and the sledder sounds decent aside from hitting you.

I know someone who was rear-ended hard in a car, was offered a ride to the hospital, and refused to go. He then tightened up over the next 48 hours and has had lingering back problems since. Adrenaline was probably what had him feeling no pain immediately after the accident. Later on, insurance refused to pay anything because he'd denied care at the scene. Might have been better to go to the doc right away to get checked out, or so he thinks now.

I know someone who was rear-ended hard in a car, was offered a ride to the hospital, and refused to go. He then tightened up over the next 48 hours and has had lingering back problems since. Adrenaline was probably what had him feeling no pain immediately after the accident. Later on, insurance refused to pay anything because he'd denied care at the scene. Might have been better to go to the doc right away to get checked out, or so he thinks now.
I can relate... I got rear ended a few weeks (while taking the company truck in for repair estimates on a collision before my arrival.)... I refused medical attention but told them my back hurt and felt the impact. It's been about three weeks and it seems to be getting worse. The car that hit me is uninsured so I'm hesitate to press the issue. The owner of the vehicle kind of pissed me off when I called inquiring about her insurance and she started getting all pissy and accusatory of me ... "The truck was fine when you drove it away... Now your back hurts"... So much for being nice and not trying to take advantage of the situation. Still not sure if I should press the issue or not? It's not that bad now, but who knows if it will be worse later... Do what you need to do do cover your ass when you get hit like you did.

Dave,

I believe your company's insurance covers your medical expenses if the other driver was uninsured even if you are in a "fault" state. That is the way it worked when I hit a care that had spun out and was stopped in the middle of the road 20 years ago and it actually simplified things because there wasn't any question about who was at fault connected with payment for whatever I needed. Other than a slightly reduced resale value and several months of significant neck pain, it turned out about as well as it could for me. I paid a $500 deductible for repairs to my truck and I had opted for more than the minimum personal injury coverage so several months of physical therapy and massage and acupressure and etc. were covered. I don't think my insurance company bothered to go after the other driver - who was ticketed by State Patrol for obstructing the roadway or something like that.

Dave,

I believe your company's insurance covers your medical expenses if the other driver was uninsured even if you are in a "fault" state. That is the way it worked when I hit a care that had spun out and was stopped in the middle of the road 20 years ago and it actually simplified things because there wasn't any question about who was at fault connected with payment for whatever I needed. Other than a slightly reduced resale value and several months of significant neck pain, it turned out about as well as it could for me. I paid a $500 deductible for repairs to my truck and I had opted for more than the minimum personal injury coverage so several months of physical therapy and massage and acupressure and etc. were covered. I don't think my insurance company bothered to go after the other driver - who was ticketed by State Patrol for obstructing the roadway or something like that.

Yes, I'm sure my company would be able to cover it. However, then it would be a "recordable" incident and that is kind of a big deal in my industry. Even though I was not at fault whatsoever. Being the nice guy I am, I'm reluctant to pursue the matter as I'm not sure there is much to be done about the back pain anyway. I'm still on the fence with the issue as the pain seems to be nagging at me a bit more the past few days. I'm not too happy with the company I work for and have already accepted another gig doing the same thing with a better company. Still, I don't want to cause a fuss unnecessarily.

So in the end the insurance company reimbursed me for my skis, skins, bindings, trip cost, and a little extra....I could have gone to the doctor and really milked the situation but I am not that kind of person. In the end it sucked that is happened but now I am getting a brand new rad set up!!! Can't wait to get out on my new skis! The pictures I took after the accident made it a black and white on who was at fault. If you ever find yourself in this type of situation, take pictures.