New to Backcountry Skiing

ChrisFreye

So I am just getting into backcountry skiing and there are way to many options to choose from but I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I was wondering if some people on CC could help point me in the right direction.

So I'm pretty sure I've figured out my boots to be the Scarpa Maelstrale RS. (I have really wide feet)

I'm also going to get some tech bindings like Dynafit Radical.

Choosing skis is were the problem comes to light. I wandered down to REI and one of the people there suggested the Voile Charger.

I know it all depends on conditions such as spring corn on the volcanoes and winter touring conditions.

Can anyone suggest a good all around ski or a pair of skis (one for spring on the volcanoes and a second for winter touring).

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll probably get flamed for saying this but I don't think skis are all that important, as long as you get the general length right for your weight. Your boots and binders are more important, and sounds like you are on your way there. If you are doing multi-day touring obviously you'd want a generally lighter ski setup than if you doing single-day tours. I use K2 Shuksans, which are heavier, but also I am not worried about them as much breaking far from the car. One thing I have found is that for backcountry especially, getting a ski with a non-white ski tip is actually pretty important...!

having worked my way through 3 skis now, I'll disagree with Alex's assessment that skis aren't that important :)

The Voile Charger is a good fatter ski, similar to the Voile Drifters I use on powder days -- in fact, I think the Charger might have been Voile's replacement for the Drifter model? The dimensions look very similar. I find the drifter to be a good deep-snow ski and actually handles crud OK as well because I guess it just bull-dozes through stuff or something.

That said, I find using them (the drifters) on less-than-powder days is not a lot of fun: the skins are heavy, it's harder to keep an edge when traversing hard snow, and the dimensions of that particular ski make carving on harder snow less excellent.

tl;dnr: I do not consider the Charger an all-around ski. I think the REI guys are steering you wrong.

I've got a pair of Shuksans as well, and they are actually pretty light (I think the older models were heavier). It is a much, much better choice for an all-around ski imo. I would not be happy with my Drifters on a lot of spring days; it's kinda like having a snowboard on each foot.

good luck!

There are a LOT of existing threads about this, both here and other places. I recommend doing a search and reading through them.

Yes it depends on the conditions, your objectives, and your personal preferences. It's really hard to make a recommendation without wrapping up one's own ideas in it. The Voile Charger however is definitely too wide and heavy to be a good all-around touring ski.

Look at skis like the K2 Wayback or Coomback, Black Diamond Aspect or Current, Dynafit Baltoro or Manaslu, La Sportiva GT or Lo5, etc.

If you can state more specific objectives and preferences then you will get better recommendations.

For spring/summer ski mountaineering on the volcanoes you can go pretty skinny to save weight, around 80mm waist.

For winter touring, something around 100mm is nice, although people go both skinnier and wider than that.

If I were you and I was looking to buy 1 ski to do a bit of everything I would pick something around 90mm that was equally suited to both firm and soft snow conditions. Once you get some skis and use them for a while you'll have a better idea of the tradeoffs you prefer to make. You can also rent different touring skis to try before you buy something.

For spring/summer ski mountaineering on the volcanoes you can go pretty skinny to save weight, around 80mm waist.

For the record, you do not have to go skinny to save weight. The voile chargers, for instance, weigh the same as my K2 shuksans (listed). My Voile Drifters (125 underfoot!) are actually slightly lighter than my Shuksans. It's crazy how light those drifters are.

For the record, you do not have to go skinny to save weight. The voile chargers, for instance, weigh the same as my K2 shuksans (listed). My Voile Drifters (125 underfoot!) are actually slightly lighter than my Shuksans. It's crazy how light those drifters are.

An alternative perspective is that Shuksans are heavy given their width.

That's true - fatter skis weigh less now. Skins will add a wee bit o weight to a fatter ski, and they may (or may not) sidehill on the hardpack as well as skinnier - the Chargers do look like a decent all around ski. Fatter skis allow you to go a bit shorter - easier to learn on.

Skis are very important - otherwise we'd strap on 2x4s and save some coin - the advice given so far is enough to get started on.

3 other considerations - skins, ski crampons, and poles. Yes, you will want ski crampons.

Dynafit skis take Dynafit Speedskins - which are light and very convenient to take off a ski without removing it. Personally, I like the system a lot.

The width of the ski determines how well your ski crampons - which come in limited widths, will fit, or if they will fit at all. Not a primary factor, mind you, but something to definitely check out before rather than after. Ski crampons come from either the binding manufacturer or from BNDSkiGear.com Can't speak for other brands, but the Dynafit ski crampons are lighter and have longer teeth (ei, better) than the aftermarket variety. Cost is about the same. Availability isn't - its the end of the season and the ski crampon supply from binding manufacturers is likely to be thin already.

Oh, and carry skin wax with you and swab your skins with Nikwax Skin Proof or equivalent before every spring trip to prevent balling - first your skins, then you. You'll thank me for that advice.

Poles (if ya need em): BD flicklocks. End of story.

Consider a BD Whippet for self arrest at some point.

SAKU!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

An alternative perspective is that Shuksans are heavy given their width.

yeah. just saying, those Chargers are crazy light, especially for their size -- barely more than 300 grams heavier than something like the K2 Wayback

Edited by rob

For the all-round backcountry ski I'm a big fan of the 105ish waist. Fat enough for some fun in powder but any fatter and the ski starts to really stick out from the sides of your boot making it a lot harder to lock in those edges on hardpack/ice.

Modern designs are light enough that you won't be totally pissed off if you have to carry them on your pack for 5 miles to get to your summer skiing.

Eamples:

K2 coomback (102mm) Does everything fine and nothing great. The classic all-rounder. Very easy to ski and especially nice for the less advanced/aggressive skier. Advanced skiers can ski this ski all day and still have fresh legs for tomorrow.

G3 Zenoxide; Stiffer and straighter then the Coomback. Does surprisingly well on hardpack, ice even moguls. Needs a little bit of speed to get on top of the powder. Awesome in open terrain, a bit exciting when its deep in the trees. (I have about 150 days on my set)

BD Convert: Gives up a little of the Zenoxide's hardpack ability in trade for more surf in powder.

Lots of other options out there too.

105ish is a great starting point if your really want the all-rounder.

That said you may want to start with or eventually add a 110-120mm for serious powder adventures, especially in the PNW. For summer a 85-95mm will lighten your load and give you even more edge control, might even go skinnier if your adventures involve more pack time then actual skiing.

Boots:

The Maestrale RS is a great boot. Stiff enough to drive any ski. If you end up going with a softer ski like the Coomback I'd recommend going with the regular Maestrale. You just don't need the full beef of the RS so you might as well have the better touring boot of the orange Maestrale.

I bought a pair of used voile chargers in 191 this year wanting something longer and stabler for inbounds conditions. Amazing ski and great price even at full retail. Playful and easy to make quick turns even at that length. Also carves pretty well though it takes a fair bit of angulation to get them up on edge. They are narrower then the drifters rob is talking about (110 something instead of 120 something at the waste) and I think stiffer...quite capable inbounds as well.

I had them out sunday for an avi safe half day tour...a couple of thousand of feet of powder filled meadows and log angle trees and they are perfect for that. They float to the top when trail breaking, skim over low angle terrain and are super maneuverable when they need to be.

I think they would be a good choice if you want excellent powder crud and slop performance and passible hardpack performance and weight. If you are looking at getting two skis eventually then the Chargers plus a narrower lighter ski for big days and firm conditions would be a great quiver.

I would definitely agree with BGardner's assessment.

I'd also recommend the Volkl Nunataq at 107mm underfoot. I'm on my 2nd season on them and I'm very stoked with them. They are much more versatile than I thought they'd be and ski well in a variety of conditions, excellent in pow, and are just under 8 lbs in the 186 cm. I do also have a little bit lighter and narrower ski for summer skiing but if I only had the Nunataq it would be a fine one ski quiver.

I also got the Maestrale RS this season and have happy with them.