Welcome to the Anthropocene

prole

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This startling graphic, from The Rachel Maddow Show Tuesday, shows a massive spike of 2.5-magnitude or larger earthquakes, starting last year..." :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, they're way too small to care about, amirite? Who cares if they went from 1 a year to over 500 this year already. Definitely not statistically significant, and even if it were, the earthquakes are really small. Everyone is obviously being PARANOID! DRILL BABY DRILL! Nothing to see here. P.S. get those damn bicycles off the road so I have room to drive my car! VROOOOOM!

right, FW? You're super intelligent, I respect that about you

"This startling graphic, from The Rachel Maddow Show Tuesday, shows a massive spike of 2.5-magnitude or larger earthquakes, starting last year..." :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, they're way too small to care about, amirite? Who cares if they went from 1 a year to over 500 this year already. Definitely not statistically significant, and even if it were, the earthquakes are really small. Everyone is obviously being PARANOID! DRILL BABY DRILL! Nothing to see here. P.S. get those damn bicycles off the road so I have room to drive my car! VROOOOOM!

right, FW? You're super intelligent, I respect that about you

But it must be true! Rachael told us so. Have you verified this breaking story? I mean, Rachael would never "embellish" right?

I like you too, Rob. I mean, you're way smarter than the average Thai mountain guide... :wave:

Reading: it's FUN-damental!

From the article:

Scientists have drawn links between earthquakes and wastewater injection wells used for oil and gas production, including fracking. Researchers say the toxic wastewater, stored thousands of feet underground, reducing friction along fault lines, which can trigger earthquakes. The ongoing fracking boom has led to a growth in national demand for disposal wells, according to Bloomberg.

Nicholas van der Elst, a post-doctorate research fellow at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, says the “most reasonable hypothesis” to explain Oklahoma’s spike in earthquakes is they’ve been triggered by injection wells used for oil and gas production. “The burden of proof is on well operators to prove that the earthquakes are not caused by their wells,” van der Elst told The Nation.

A 2011 study, published in the journal Geology, found that liquid injection triggered a sequence of earthquakes in Oklahoma, including the largest quake ever recorded in the state, which injured two people and destroyed fourteen homes. StateImpact reports that Oklahoma is home to more than 4,400 disposal wells. (The website is a great resource on this issue.) Researchers have also found connections between injection wells and earthquakes in Arkansas, Colorado, Texas and Ohio.

The science linking quakes to disposal wells has led some states to take action. In 2011, Arkansas banned the use of drilling wells in a 1,550-square mile region because of earthquakes. Ohio banned the use of disposal wells near fault lines altogether. Most recently, Kansas Governor Sam Brownback commissioned a task force to study the link between earthquakes and drilling activity.

"It" was this (your quote, btw):

The infographic, you know, the one quoted in the piece, the one that doesn't say anything about fracking? Yeah, at the bottom it's credited to the Oklahoma USGS.

Really, is this how you plan on spending the rest of your life? As a buffoon?

"It" was this (your quote, btw):

The infographic, you know, the one quoted in the piece, the one that doesn't say anything about fracking? Yeah, at the bottom it's credited to the Oklahoma USGS.

Really, is this how you plan on spending the rest of your life? As a buffoon?

Geeeez, are you really this dense? The graphic is most certainly NOT from the USGS. It is Maddow's--and cobbled together with hand-selected data from the USGS site. The citation placed in the graphic is poor form, no doubt. But this is what you get when you watch MSNBC. (Try the right-click inspect element thing. It's not hard.) But in any event, it makes no connection between the events and the wells. The story simply speculates on a connection. Get it? Is this stuff really that hard for you?

Edited by Fairweather

So, the data that makes up the infographic is in question? The number and frequency of earthquakes in Oklahoma from 2009-2014 sourced from the USGS? Is that where you're going? Dumbass.

No, where I'm "going" with this is that you need to stop drooling over left-kooky media and do a little background/research of your own from time-to-time. Especially since you like to (erroneously) hurl the same accusation at others here. Step up. Practice what you preach. Swish that Kool-Aid around in your mouth before you swallow. Spit it out every now and then. You stupid fuck.