• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mcmedved

Chad Kellogg gone

Oh man......so sorry to hear this news. My condolences to the many folks around here that knew him so well. He will be missed.

wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark

i think the lad lived up to this admonition most admirably!

Edited by ivan

wise sir do not grieve

it is always better to avenge dear ones

than to indulge in mourning

for every one of us living in this world

means waiting for our end

let he who can achieve glory before death

when a warrior is gone

that will be his best and only bulwark

to many people are dieing when I am starting to learn these lines from Ivan's posting. stay safe brothers.

Partway down the similar thread on Supertopo, Rolo reported:

Just to make sure the facts are accurate when reported:

Over two days Chad Kellogg and Jens Holsten climbed the Afanassieff Route on the NW ridge of Cerro Fitz Roy in southern Patagonia, reaching the summit in the late afternoon of February 14th. They then started the long descent via the Supercanaleta. While pulling down their ropes, on the third rappel down, one of them got stuck. As they pulled to retrieve it the rope dislodged a block which hit Chad. He died instantly. It was 9PM. Jens continued the descent alone through the night, reaching the base early in the morning to then continue to El Chalten, the nearest town. Because of the complexities of the location a body recovery will not be attempted.

The world will undoubtedly be much poorer without him.

Godspeed Chad

What a damned shame, and a rough time for Jens to boot. I only met Chad a couple of times, but he was all that and a bag of nuts, a solid and friendly human being.

Dirtbag Diary from Chad and Dylan's climb of Siguniang:click to listen

AAJ entry for the climb:http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/articles/12200903800

My thoughts are with you, Jens, if you read this. And with Chad's family. I hope the way forward magnifies all the positive ways Chad affected you and those who knew him.

http://rememberchadkellogg.tumblr.com/chadkelloggmemorialgrantfund

A fund has been established in Chad’s honor with the American Alpine Club. We would appreciate donations to the Chad Kellogg Memorial Grant in honor of Chad’s commitment to inspiring future generations of climbers. This will be an endowment fund and will provide annual grants in perpetuity to climbers like Chad to support their endeavors.

Please contribute your tax deductible donation in one of the following ways:

- To donate to the fund by credit card click here https://americanalpineclub.org/donate/contribution

- Check the box for “One-Time Donation”

- Click “Select a fund” and select the Chad Kellogg Memorial Grant.

- To donate by check please send to the following address. Please be sure to write “Chad Kellogg Memorial Grant” on the check:

The American Alpine Club

710 10th St. Suite 100

Golden, CO 80401