Metolius Freerider pack?

curtveld

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Curt,

I can't comment on this particular pack, but I have a similar Metolius haul pack (Sentinal I think?) that is awesome for cragging and hauling on grade IV - V walls. It carries comfortably on approaches and as a bike commuting pack, but I would not want to carry it while actually climbing.

Thanks Dan. Yeah, there are a number of "haul packs", basically small haul bags with unpadded shoulder and waist straps. Sounds like the Freerider has the heavy fabric but is a step closer to a real backpack in terms of suspension. It's a fairly new product so there aren't any reviews out on the web yet.

Any other suggestions for an durable pack for multi-pitch?

Looking for something medium sized (30-40 L) that carries decently but is tough enough to haul occasionally. Most packs are either 1. lightweight and covered with straps and junk, or 2. mini-haulbags not designed to be carried more than 10 minutes.

my old wildthings rock sack could be hauled a bit and be fine with it. it has some sewn loops for making a 4 point haul point like haul bags have. very durable material.

not sure if they still mnake it that way.

Dane had some posting on his blog about something you are asking about. I think it was something custom made from CCW? (cold cold world packs...possibly ozone?)

Edited by genepires

We just bought two Freerider's and one Crag Station for work. They are going to be our hi angle bags for the fire department. I know they will last way longer than the two pos bags that they are replacing. I am impressed with the Freerider and the Crag Station. However, My normal cragging pack is an A5 haul bag. I love it. Upon getting these Freeriders, I WANT ONE!! It has loops for hauling instead of the usual two slings, So you will have to attach runners to haul. They harness system is much nicer than a standard haul bag but not fancy. It is made out of durathane with the exception of the lid and back panel. The waistbelt and harness did not appear to be stowable or detachable. The back panel is padded.

I guess if you desire fancy pants arcteryx packs you probably won't like this. If you think a haul bag is the best crag bag, like I do, then you will love the Freerider.

Atom Smasher .. from Russ over at Fish

That's a good option, especially the Deluxe version with padded straps. At $100, cheaper than the Freerider ($130) and better for hauling no doubt.

The Metolius looks like a nicer carry and has the flap pocket that provides weather protection the AS doesn't have. Tough choice...

• 3 years later...

The Freerider looks awesome and I want one. I have the Mescalito and love it, but it's much smaller at only 24L vs the 41L of the Freerider. I got the Mescalito to have a durable small climbing pack as I always seem to have my fair share of groveling (e.g. chimney scumming) despite best intentions no mater the route.

It's seems that each time I get lured by lightweight gear (e.g. thin nylon packs), I'm disappointed when it quickly shreds. I just returned a lightweight REI Flash 30 after 2 seams ripped on a simple Mt. Rainier outing. Just putting a pack down on that coarse volcanic tuff (on Success Cleaver) gave me pause. Ok, I overstuffed the bag and had crap strapped all over it, but still, I could have dragged my Mescalito behind my car on the whole drive from Bellingham to Rainier and likely still have had a functional pack for the climb. Same problem with my Lowe Alpine Attack Summit and equivalent paper thin lightweight daypacks by Mountain Hardware and Patagonia; they are all shredded sieves now.

I was recently comparing 40L alpine sacks on outdoorgearlab (they have a nice review) and am having trouble pulling the trigger. The Black Diamond Speed 40 was about to get my vote but the Patagonia Acensionist 40L also seemed good. The Arcteryx Alpha FL 40 was simple and sweet but overpriced, as was the Cilo Worksack. The Hyperlite wasn't adequately durable and too much $$$.

But, I'm thinking of ignoring the weight factor and just getting the Freerider as my APLINE pack (yes at 3Lbs). God forbid! But at least I won't be buying an new lightweight "alpine" pack every few years...

The Metolius Express (capacity 39L) is also tempting in that it's got a removable hip belt (better with harness) and hideable packstraps, and but the compression/lash straps on the Freerider seem like a nice feature for attaching gear/skis etc. Hmmm....

EDIT: The Cold Cold World Valdez pack (40L) is also a quality durable unit. I like Fish products and I think Metolius designed their Mecalito off of the success of the Atom Smasher. I have had the Metolius grade V bag (Half Dome?) for ~15-20 years and can personally vouch for it's undestructability.

Edited by bargainhunter

It's seems that each time I get lured by lightweight gear (e.g. thin nylon packs), I'm disappointed when it quickly shreds. I just returned a lightweight REI Flash 30 after 2 seams ripped on a simple Mt. Rainier outing. Just putting a pack down on that coarse volcanic tuff (on Success Cleaver) gave me pause. Ok, I overstuffed the bag and had crap strapped all over it, but still, I could have dragged my Mescalito behind my car on the whole drive from Bellingham to Rainier and likely still have had a functional pack for the climb. Same problem with my Lowe Alpine Attack Summit and equivalent paper thin lightweight daypacks by Mountain Hardware and Patagonia; they are all shredded sieves now.

I recently purchased and returned or sold four 30 liter packs (including MH, Patagonia, Gregory, and Norrona) attempting to find a suitable replacement for my Serratus Genie, which despite its low cost and non techy material lasted for 48 hard seasons. I finally bit the bullet and had Randy at CCW build a custom Ozone. Looking forward to getting it in the mail.

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) recently redid their climbing packs and a crag pack. If you are passing through Vancouver or something it could be worth a look. I wasn't in the market at the time but I fondled a couple packs in the store in Victoria and the crag pack looked burley (for not being a haul bag material pack).