[TR] Commonwealth Basin - Little Late For My Eleven-WI4 2/11/2014

Justin Busch

Trip: Commonwealth Basin - Little Late For My Eleven-WI4

Date: 2/11/2014

Trip Report:

Doug Hutchinson & I were able to sneak out before work yesterday to try and track down some nice blue ice that I had spotted while skiing the Kendall trees last Friday. An early start, climb a quick pitch and a ski back out would have Doug back in time for his usual meetings...

Here is what we found...

IMG_14251.jpg

Some snowfall since last Friday had covered up the lower half of the climb and there was some cleaning involved. The upper was awesome!

Doug on the fat blue of the upper pitch...

Late3.jpg

The heavy snow in and out of the basin made things go a bit slow and we both did our best to stay upright on the down with our climbing packs.

JustinSki3.jpg

Not sure if anyone has been on this before-it is such easy access. It should at least have a name for reference! Since Doug was sending emails from the basin that said he was going to be "a little late for my 11:00", we thought that funny and apprpriate!

Here is a map to get there...

CommonwealthIceMap.JPG

This one gets lots of sun exposure so cold/cold temps are in order for it to form. Another one to add to the Commonwealth Basin worthy ice climb list!

Gear Notes:

Two 60's will get you down from the nearest tree above.

Approach Notes:

see map

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More proof that Snoqualmie is the place for ice this season.

Thanks for another fun day, Justin. An awesome partner not only scopes the new lines but is extremely fair and generous in trading off on nice leads! We gotta learn how to take better pics and tilt cameras, etc since it looks so much more tiny than it really was.

I really don't think two days of warm temps will do much to either of the Commonwealth Basin climbs if it cools down as expected this weekend - they are really, really fat now.