Usage at CC.com in decline

LUCKY

More than likely it is your enemies fault, repudiating all that stuff you said about them. :provoke:

Times, seasons, people, fashions, habits...they all change over time. And most things are cyclical.

What this site has is a great historical database of Trip Reports that continue to trickle in...and sometimes they pour too.

What some of the other social media sites unfortunately lack (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, your blog) is the community that a site like this can give. Where people who don't know you and you never met can read about your adventures and be inspired...and vice versa. A site like this is designed to bring people together, not to showcase one person's adventures. I guess if you're trying to "go pro" or get sponsors...or if you have already achieved that, then a blog makes great sense: a place to toot your own horn under your own terms and you can delete responses that don't suit your point of view.

Unlike Facebook, that cute girl/gal you recently friended isn't on CC.com to read about your latest exploit. Neither is your mom or aunt. But if they were really into climbing they probably would be here ;). This is a community that really is focused on a single set of pursuits. If you aren't interested in climbing/skiiing/boarding, you're probably not here except to troll those that do. And people are here because they are passionate about these things. And they want to connect with people who share that passion.

A community like cc.com can be a place for debate. I know some of you might think that isn't the case, that we try to shape the site to particular users and particular points of view....but we haven't. We have only attempted to keep the dialogue relatively civil. Case in point is there are still several diverse points of view posting in this thread.

Though Jon (and of course Timmy), and I have like many of you been stretched thin by our jobs, families, and other interests, we have always tried to keep the lights on with this place because we believe it is such a valuable resource. We hope you do too. We have tried to keep a good/acceptable balance with the advertising and support local PNW enterprises in that arena. But it obviously needs your support to keep it going and relevant. And your friends support too. And we always looking for somebody with some new to say. Something we haven't heard yet.

We aren't going anywhere.

[video:youtube]zKhEw7nD9C4

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see :rolleyes: anonymous derogatory pictures, statements about fellow climbers, first accent climbers and routes, Moderators, regular cc.com users, inflammatory enough to keep climbers from using CC.com

sounds like internet BULLYING to me.

No, posting someone's name on an anonymous board without their permission is bullying. Compredes?

Only trolls bully and try to stay anonymous...notice I put my full name at the bottom of that post and give my name in my avatar, some times I delete or apologize or regrete a post and take it when I get called out but never try to hide :wave: at least not for years....MAN UP!!! :poke:

More than likely it is your enemies fault, repudiating all that stuff you said about them. :provoke:

Times, seasons, people, fashions, habits...they all change over time. And most things are cyclical.

What this site has is a great historical database of Trip Reports that continue to trickle in...and sometimes they pour too.

What some of the other social media sites unfortunately lack (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, your blog) is the community that a site like this can give. Where people who don't know you and you never met can read about your adventures and be inspired...and vice versa. A site like this is designed to bring people together, not to showcase one person's adventures. I guess if you're trying to "go pro" or get sponsors...or if you have already achieved that, then a blog makes great sense: a place to toot your own horn under your own terms and you can delete responses that don't suit your point of view.

Unlike Facebook, that cute girl/gal you recently friended isn't on CC.com to read about your latest exploit. Neither is your mom or aunt. But if they were really into climbing they probably would be here ;). This is a community that really is focused on a single set of pursuits. If you aren't interested in climbing/skiiing/boarding. And people are here because they are passionate about these things. And they want to connect with people who share that passion.

A community like cc.com can be a place for debate. I know some of you might think that isn't the case, that we try to shape the site to particular users and particular points of view....but we haven't. We have only attempted to keep the dialogue relatively civil. Case in point is there are still several diverse points of view posting in this thread.

Though Jon (and of course Timmy), and I have like many of you been stretched thin by our jobs, families, and other interests, we have always tried to keep the lights on with this place because we believe it is such a valuable resource. We hope you do too. We have tried to keep a good/acceptable balance with the advertising and support local PNW enterprises in that arena. But it obviously needs your support to keep it going and relevant. And your friends support too. And we always looking for somebody with some new to say. Something we haven't heard yet.

We aren't going anywhere.

[video:youtube]zKhEw7nD9C4

Well said olyclimber....good viedo of raindawg/blacknight :lmao:

A lot of us oldtimers have moved. I don't post TRs anymore because nothing I've done is cascades relevant. I would post more TRs if adding photos was simpler - it really takes quite an effort to post a TR. Many of us check in more than you think so keep posting. What is lame is posting links to your blog instead of a good TR

sheeeeit, mike, they got this here "rest of the universe" forum for tr's - i for one would like to keep up w/ yer exploits n' i'm not migrating to facefuck :)

most of my pic headaches come from the first step of cutting them down to a size that will load

What is lame is posting links to your blog instead of a good TR

I'm not all that fond of that either, the expectation is that this site will outlive most blogs, so the information here won't disappear when you lose interest in blogging. I appreciate that folks like Wayne and Sol, who do keep their own blogs, at least post some pics and narrative, and not just a link.

I'd love to see a few TR's from your exploits Mike, you're usually a really fun read.

I would post more TRs if adding photos was simpler - it really takes quite an effort to post a TR.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, Mike. We are evaluating our options to make everything a lot easier, especially adding photos to TRs, one of which might be abandoning the gallery software entirely.

What is lame is posting links to your blog instead of a good TR

I'm not all that fond of that either, the expectation is that this site will outlive most blogs, so the information here won't disappear when you lose interest in blogging. I appreciate that folks like Wayne and Sol, who do keep their own blogs, at least post some pics and narrative, and not just a link.

I'd love to see a few TR's from your exploits Mike, you're usually a really fun read.

:tup:

the first climbing site to come up with drag and drop photo uploading (AKA - like Flickrz, etc) will score a major win. It seems to be the largest barrier to participation for a lot of folks across a number of outdoor sites.

TRs may seem old school given the many channels now available for today's more expressive individuals to broadcast every successful bowel movement - with pics, but hairless monkeys still love a well crafted and edited story. Creating such a story can add depth and meaning to an experience for the author-it can be a great way to savor an excursion. If you like photography and the English language and National Geographic isn't calling - TRs aren't a bad way to go.

I've cut back a bit, and it is partially because you need a thick skin here...which I don't always have. Also, and I suspect others have encountered this...I go on a trip and post my pictures on Facebook...which makes uploading photos very easy. Plus Facebook, or at least my account, is all friends, not public. So there are no attacks.

Then, after a while, I post pictures here...which means I have to upload my images to my personal webserver, and then write a trip report here, carefully noting the image file names and pasting them into the text entry boxes, making sure that I have the relevant words next to the image file names. You don't get a visual reference while talking about a picture...you have to know the file name. The user interface here is sort of "last century"...but you do get what you pay for :-)

As someone else said, uploading images to the cc server is awkward. Putting my images on my server is perhaps not optimal for longevity of a cc.com trip report...but my server may well outlive cc.com...I intend to keep my domain name for as long as I own a computer.

And then I have to post my own tr on my blog-climbing page. So that is three times I write a tr, for every trip: Facebook, CC, and blog.

Not that I'm complaining...it's fun sharing photos and stories.

Couple ideas:

improved image uploader, similar to facebook where multiple images can be uploaded at once, and you get a visual reference for the image you are describing.

The ability to post a tr in an iframe? Don't know if that would work. So you could write your normal tr on your blog, and embed it in an iframe on cc.com?

That brings up the old issues of framesets and copyrights, etc, etc.

But overall declined usage might have more to do with the economy. There aren't a whole lot of jobs left anymore where you can spend hours surfing the internet and get paid for doing nothing.

Mark (and all), thanks for you feedback.

Mark, I doubt to where your personal server will outlast CC.com, but who knows ;)

I think we would prefer to not have stuff hosted with iframes on other sites. Time and time again we see linked content die because the content goes away. People lose interest in hosting a blog or paying for their website or server and then great content just goes away. Much better to have it hosted here.

Yes, the photo upload situation sucks. I just had to use it, and it is a very confusing and has too many steps. We are trying to workout a short term and then longer term solution to that problem. We do recognize it as perhaps the number one problem with the site as it is right now.

yes, drag and drop would be a huge help, especially for people who are awesome climbers, but not as computer savy as those of us who spend our days staring at computers.

I don't know what is out there as far as plug in drag and drop functionality. I do know that anything on the web that involves user friendly interactivity, almost always involves heavy back end programming.

One thing that might help would be some video tutorials on how to take a picture out of a camera, size it down for the web, upload it to the cc.com server, and then write a tr, while inserting the image, and describing it.

If you twisted my arm, I could do that, in a variety of image editing software. This is a video I recorded on removing a rope from a photo in Photoshop.

I'm assuming that managing this website is a labor of love, and that it runs on a shoestring?

How about asking for a one time donation to help pay for a drag and drop functionality? I'd throw in some cash.