• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Justin Busch

[TR] Commonwealth Basin - Superbowl Ice 2/2/2014

Trip: Commonwealth Basin - Superbowl Ice

Date: 2/2/2014

Trip Report:

While on my way up to ski Red Mtn last week, I was pleasantly surprised to come across this bit of ice...

IMG_1278.jpg

I was hoping to get back to climb it before the snow fell knowing that it would be at least partially buried. Doug Hutchinson & I made it out yesterday for a little pre-game outing. Here is how it looked a week later...

IMG_13902.jpg

Someone had been on it before us (Saturday??) I must have my head in a hole cause I was surprised to have not heard about this one. It's a worthy little climb by Snoq Pass standards and is only an hour drive from sea level and a quick ski or walk in. It has obviously seen some ascents based on the old (and newer) tat.

Here is Doug representing our local bird yesterday before the game...

IMG_1344.jpg

We climbed it in two pitches. The first being slabby ice and the second pitch going at WI 3ish. I thought I would throw this out there to add to the Snoqualmie Pass circuit!

Gear Notes:

We did two raps with a 70m although I think a 60m would have done the job.

Approach Notes:

Approach via Commonwealth Basin. Once at the log crossing in the basin, head directly uphill (don't cross the creek) for 20 mins or so.

Thanks for digging that out of the archives-I wasn't having much luck finding any info on this.

My guess is that the recent inversion helped fatten this one up.

Yeah, its not really visible from the road so it gets only occasional traffic, as you can see from the other thread.

top rope, ice climb, and state of Washington are unfortunately never found in the same sentence