[TR] Commonwealth Basin - Superbowl Ice 2/2/2014

Justin Busch

Trip: Commonwealth Basin - Superbowl Ice

Date: 2/2/2014

Trip Report:

While on my way up to ski Red Mtn last week, I was pleasantly surprised to come across this bit of ice...

IMG_1278.jpg

I was hoping to get back to climb it before the snow fell knowing that it would be at least partially buried. Doug Hutchinson & I made it out yesterday for a little pre-game outing. Here is how it looked a week later...

IMG_13902.jpg

Someone had been on it before us (Saturday??) I must have my head in a hole cause I was surprised to have not heard about this one. It's a worthy little climb by Snoq Pass standards and is only an hour drive from sea level and a quick ski or walk in. It has obviously seen some ascents based on the old (and newer) tat.

Here is Doug representing our local bird yesterday before the game...

IMG_1344.jpg

We climbed it in two pitches. The first being slabby ice and the second pitch going at WI 3ish. I thought I would throw this out there to add to the Snoqualmie Pass circuit!

Gear Notes:

We did two raps with a 70m although I think a 60m would have done the job.

Approach Notes:

Approach via Commonwealth Basin. Once at the log crossing in the basin, head directly uphill (don't cross the creek) for 20 mins or so.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic