Is anyone going to summit Mount Seattle Seahawks?

Ben_Heavner

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google takes the renaming seriously

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/place/Mt+Seattle+Seahawks/@46.8638119,-121.7578074,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x5490d193f70860fb:0x5b5e4fe17ad6b707?hl=en

It is only a temporary name just like Colorado renamed all the 14ers after Bronco players. Can't see any of those names sticking longer than a few days ;)

Google takes the renaming seriously

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/place/Mt+Seattle+Seahawks/@46.8638119,-121.7578074,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x5490d193f70860fb:0x5b5e4fe17ad6b707?hl=en

It is only a temporary name just like Colorado renamed all the 14ers after Bronco players. Can't see any of those names sticking longer than a few days ;)

yeah i guess WA. doesn't have enough 14'ers for a whole team :grlaf:

Moronic. It's a mountain I love that probably should be renamed "Tahoma" ala McKinley/Denali. I hope they lose.

I read somewhere that the plan is to fly to the summit tomorrow and bolt a plaque bearing "Mount Seattle Seahawks" to register rock.

Rumors are flying about a new via ferrata route to and from the summit of Mt. Seattle Seahawks too.

Moronic. It's a mountain I love that probably should be renamed "Tahoma" ala McKinley/Denali. I hope they lose.

I read somewhere that the plan is to fly to the summit tomorrow and bolt a plaque bearing "Mount Seattle Seahawks" to register rock.

Rumors are flying about a new via ferrata route to and from the summit of Mt. Seattle Seahawks too.

A rumor perhaps started by you? :rolleyes:

Too funny:

WHEREAS, The Washington State Senate is VERY confident the Seattle Seahawks will defeat the Denver Broncos on Sunday; and

WHEREAS, With all due respect to the fine people of the State of Colorado, the 12th Man numbered 30,000 strong just to see their team off to the Super Bowl, while Colorado managed 300 or so to see their Broncos off; and

WHEREAS, The Seattle Seahawks gave their fans much to be proud of, indeed, inspiring them to not just set the world record for stadium noise once, but TWICE in one season; and

WHEREAS, The 12th Man has been known to trigger seismic events (that would be earthquakes for you middle of the country folk), for real; and

WHEREAS, Colorado makes some fine craft beverages, but really? Do you want to start that fight with the state that invented the genre? Between fine coffee, brewers, and wineries, Seattle is the beverage capital of the United States, if not the world; and

WHEREAS, We wholeheartedly agree and hope that your admittedly incredible quarterback does resemble Mount Elbert: A little rocky and immobile; and

WHEREAS, Your 14ers are really nice, but c’mon, have you seen Mount Rainier? Cloaked in glaciers and rising nearly 2.5 miles above its surroundings, it is more singular, more monumental, and more intimidating than any of Colorado’s 14ers, much like the Seahawks over the Broncos; and

WHEREAS, The Great State of Colorado has named 53 individual 14ers after 53 individual players, because the Broncos are a band of individuals, however the State of Washington resolves to name one magnificent mountain after the Seahawks because they are and act as a TEAM;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, That the Washington State Senate does hereby rename Mount Rainier as “Mount Seattle Seahawks” from this point until 12:00 a.m. Monday, February 3, 2014; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That the Washington State Legislature respectfully request of the United States Department of the Interior that Mount Rainier’s namesake National Park (yeah, our Mountain is that cool, it warrants its own National Park) be retitled “12th Man National Park”

for the same time period; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That Sunday, February 2nd be proclaimed SEAHAWK SUNDAY in the great State of Washington.

I, Hunter G. Goodman, Secretary of the Senate, do hereby certify that this is a true and correct copy of Senate Resolution 8676, adopted by the Senate January 31, 2014.

HUNTER G. GOODMAN

Secretary of the Senate

Doesn't our state have more serious issues needing attention from the legislature? Like high long term unemployment or cuts to mental health? Or crumbling I-5? or trains carrying crude? WTF?

If they want to play phantasy football, please don't do it on taxpayer's account!

Edited by glassgowkiss

Doesn't our state have more serious issues needing attention from the legislature? Like high long term unemployment or cuts to mental health? Or crumbling I-5? or trains carrying crude? WTF?

If they want to play phantasy football, please don't do it on taxpayer's account!

THIS IS A REALLY BIG DEAL!! OMG I"M WRITING A LETTER TO THE EDITOR!!!!

man.jpg

Umm,

Real peak renaming requires an act of Congress and signature by the president. W mentioned Mt. Stevens in Alaska. Look up what it took for that permanent change.

Yes there are issues of much greater importance, but chances of getting the state legislature to work at 100-percent efficiency are very low if not zero.

WASHINGTON D.C. — The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill today that honors the late Senator Ted Stevens by naming a peak on Mount Hunter and part of an ice field in Alaska after him. The Senate earlier this week passed a similar bill.

In the next 30 days, the US Geological Place Names board is supposed to christen a feature on Mount Hunter that was simply known as South Hunter peak as “Stevens Peak”. The peak stands almost 14-thousand feet tall and it was the highest unnamed peak in Alaska.

Senator Lisa Murkowski has introduced the legislation to name the peak and the ice field after Stevens. The northern and eastern half of the Chugach Mountains will become the Ted Stevens Ice Field.

Source

Edited by Feck