Smith Rock Climbing Partners Any Time

climberpage

I've recently moved to Bend and don't have a steady climbing partner yet. I'm still unemployed so am available weekdays or weekends. I'm also into the occasional ski tour.

I'm willing to mentor too, don't be shy.

I have a reasonably full rack, a sixty meter, a seventy meter, and lead trad to 5.9 (on a good day) and sport to 5.10b or willing to thrash and hangdog harder stuff. Also willing to follow if you need a belayer, I love to learn from better climbers and push myself.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings,

I live in Cornwall, England and normally climb on granite sea cliffs. I have only ever climbed on trad routes, placing my own gear and lead to 5.7/5.8 although I have very occasionally led 5.9 provided I can get a bombproof runner over my head and I am enjoying myself. I will be 65 this April and my wife and I intend to spend the first couple of months of my pension on travelling in California and Oregon and at some time in mid to late April we will be camping at Smith Rock. Sally does not climb but I plan on bringing basic gear on the off chance that I can find someone who does not mind showing an English oldfart a few classic routes. I will have boots, helmet, harness, belay plate, prussic loops and a few screwgates but no lead gear. Needless to say I would be only too happy to reciprocate should you visit Cornwall(where the climbing is great!) where I have a fair bit of spare gear and ample ropes to accommodate a climber who is travelling light.

cheers Bob Turner

PS I live near Perranporth(TR60JB) but I do most of my climbing on the Lands End peninsular

Give me a call when as we get closer to your trip Bob. I would be happy to climb some of the classics with you. I have a full trad rack and know the area. I live in Portland...

Oh and Tim whenever I can get down to Bend I will hit you up..I am always looking for a touring/climbing partner...I am planning to ski Broken Top first week of March!!!

Josh Anderson

503-933-4534

Edited by jrex

Hey Tim(?), I just recently moved to Bend as well in August and also have a lot of free time on my hands. I've been into ski touring a few years now, but since this winter hasn't been too great I've been looking to get more into climbing.

I just started climbing last spring and I am very new to everything still. I generally just stick to bouldering, but I've been wanting to get more involved in sport/trad. I've only done a handful of sport climbs and a single trad climb. If you can't find anyone else and feel like being a mentor to a complete newbie, I have the free time.

No real gear besides a harness/belaydevice

Edited by bee

Hi, I'm in Seattle but happy to come down to Smith for a long weekend if weather is good, which can happen anytime, right? currently work mondays and wednesdays, but my schedule changes often. I lead trad at best and not reliably to 5.9. Just keep me in mind if we get a weather window.

cheers,

anne drew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anne,

I am also based right next to Smith and have a very good work schedule (plenty of time off) so will want to hit Smith often - but also other areas between Bend and Seattle. I won't be back in the States until mid March, but I will keep you posted when I'm eager to get out...

Ralph

I am also based right next to Smith and have a very good work schedule (plenty of time off) so will want to hit Smith often - but also other areas besides. I won't be back in the States until mid March, but I will keep you posted when I'm eager to get out...

Ralph

I am also based right next to Smith and have a very good work schedule (plenty of time off) so will want to hit Smith often - but also other areas around the Bend area. I won't be back in the States until mid March, but I will keep you posted when I'm eager to get out...

Regards,

Ralph