[TR] Dog Mountain - Dog Spine 1/18/2014

Bosterson

Trip: Dog Mountain - Dog Spine

Date: 1/18/2014

Trip Report:

A little bit of Gorge landscaping, dedicated to my buddy Billy who wished he could come along.

Ended up too far east and missed Helser's Direct. Climbed Dog Rock despite freezing wind. Barely a climbing route, with two 1/4" bolts on rusty hangers, walk across a five foot ledge, turn a corner and do a move over your head to the summit. I placed a #9 stopper in a crack to protect the last move. Four faded slings from two solid(er) bolts make an anchor with two rap rings. It's pretty dumb, but so is climbing.

After that, fun ridge scrambling. Some misc bolts and fixed pins found on the hillside with rotting orange hardware store "rope" tied through them. Exposed but easy 3rd class - no reason to use any of that pro. Frosty up top, so we bailed off the right towards the end and followed the hill up into the trees. Dumb fun.

P1080586.jpg

DSCN0797.jpg

DSCN0805.jpg

P1080600.jpg

P1080620.jpg

P1080649.jpg

Gear Notes:

Helmet and gaiters. Leave the axe and gear at home.

Approach Notes:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1099627

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb fun indeed - the pic in olson's book of a snow-covered ascent looks most compelling and i'll be back for that someday

interesting you thought an axe not worth taking - i don't think we could have gotten up the initially mud-slope above the parking lot w/o one, and it sure was nice on the moss up high too :)