How do you pack your crampons?

Critter Hampton

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strap mine to the outside of my cilo pack but want to find a better way. When I have my avy tools in the cilo shovel pocket it ends up on the outside of the 'pons and really ends up making the pack big and cumbersome. This would be alleviated by either having the cilo ski pack (but I really can't justify another pack) or having lash points on the outside of the shovel pocket.

I like having them on the outside and easy to get to since usually by the time I want my 'pons I've already wandered past the point of easily setting my pack down to dig through it.

Edited by Jason4

That 2L bottle idea is cute, but I travel 'critter style'.

Critter style uses no tent, sleeping bag, or pad. I'm a freak of nature so I wouldn't recommend it. I often sleep on a pile of debris or trash bags full of debris. I personally don't recommend relying on things like crampon cases, store bought or not. If you carry any extra gear, it good to learn and have a backup method if that fancy stuff fails or slides down a hillside.

That 2L bottle idea is cute, but I travel 'critter style'.

Critter style uses no tent, sleeping bag, or pad. I'm a freak of nature so I wouldn't recommend it. I often sleep on a pile of debris or trash bags full of debris.

There's a fine line between dirtbag and homeless and you crossed it. Nothing to be proud of.

For years I used a crampon patch on my pack. That was pretty much required with old school rigid crampons like foot fangs. With the more recent design of crampons that are rigid but collapse it is much easier to shove them in a pack. So I have one those spiffy pouches to put them in:

fakir-1_1.jpg

It serves double duty as once the poons and screws are out as I put the screw sleeves and caps into the pouch. Keeping the sleeves and cap makes it so that I can stow screws in my pack without shredding stuff or damaging the screws.

• 4 weeks later...