Evolution: is it happening?

olyclimber

i will not belong to this club if it would allow me to be a member. i have principles.

The club only cares about you if you are still in the ether spreading around your code truth is the club doesn't even care or know you exist or it exists membership is automatic even if you are a believer or not since selection is done by a sort of invisible hand and I think this is why it is so beautiful

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the invisible hand? the same one that controls the markets?

Hey, I didn't say that, man, you said that. But it is beautiful, no? Imagine what the place would look like if bureaucrats were in charge of natural selection...

well we will never know. instead it is the prurient interests of the masses. I'm not complaining though. i am one of them, for better or worse.

a question which i have no answer for at hand: have the anti-evolutionist arguments themselves evolved over time? :)

at first blush, the "intelligent design" counter-argument would seem to qualify, though i don't know when exactly that nonsense was first made flesh...

We have another living fossil right in our own backyard:

Mountain Beaver

Weird critter. They eat their own poo, climb trees, and don't hibernate. And they're not real beavers, either - more closely related to squirrels.

Anyone ever seen one? I haven't.

Not long after moving into my house, which backs up to a greenbelt on the lot, I saw this furry football dragging a large branch of a rhodie down into the trees. In the next few days it managed to take 2 rhodies down to stumps and make several hostas disappear. I ended up using a live capture trap to move it to a park about a mile away. They are curious little animals. They create paths in dense underbrush and partially burrow. I managed to get rid of the lot of them on my property by clearing out the english ivy that covered almost all of it.