Evolution: is it happening?

olyclimber

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds kinda like a Coelacanth. A Gar--I guess I missed that one. Nothing wrong with enjoying evolutionary peace in a static environment--if you can find it. Having effectively insulated ourselves from the physical environment--and having managed to hold at bay for the time being our microscopic antagonists--there seems little left to act on or select for mutations in our own genome moving forward. Seems like we humans are likely to maintain our present phenotype for as long as we can manipulate the status quo. I wonder if Gars think we're really ugly.

When you italicise a word, it doesn't make it more REAL. Checkmate. Your move atheists.

Blinder alert I did not realize only atheists accept evolution and are allow in Oly's club I know plenty of Christians Jews Muslims Hindus Sikhs deists and agnostics who are on the team okay I don't really know any muslims but I'm sure there are some who see the logic

We have another living fossil right in our own backyard:

Mountain Beaver

Weird critter. They eat their own poo, climb trees, and don't hibernate. And they're not real beavers, either - more closely related to squirrels.

Anyone ever seen one?...

Over a thirty year period I have only seen them twice near my home and both encounters were nearly identical. I'm driving along a road in a canyon near my house and here's this little thing about the size of a large gopher crawling around in the middle of the road in the middle of the day. I stop the car, get out, and walk up to investigate. As soon as I'm a few inches away the little guy attacks my shoe and clamps his teeth onto the sole. I dragged him, hanging onto my shoe, off to the edge of the road and slung him into the bushes with a brisk kick.

I was told by ODFW that these guys get "in the rut", so to speak, at certain times of the year, and think they own the world and will take on anything and anyone.

According to ODFW they are also partially responsible for attracting mountain lions to our area in the winter. The lions come up tributaries to local rivers (Willamette Valley) to search out and snack on these guys.