Cable size for Squamish River Crossing?

JasonG

Thinking of a Tantalus trip this upcoming summer. I know of the options, but the Tyrolean seems like a fitting part of the whole package. I've heard you need a few "large" carabiners, but mainly I'm wondering what the diameter of the cable is to see if I need to search around for some to burn or if what I have will do. And, I'm not sure if I am man enough to walk it.

Thanks for any info!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is probably smart Matt. I have access to steel but I really don't want to carry one thru the range if I can burn an AL one on the cable. Was planning on carrying a couple to back up the weighted one & hang my pack, so I wouldn't be trusting my life to one. I ran across a TR where they said that AL worked, but that you would retire it once across. I guess I could suck it up and hike a big steel 'biner over Tantalus from Sigurd Creek, but I'd rather not.

Thanks MC, I guess I will try and get a bit more detail on the exact dimensions. A typical belay 'biner will accommodate 7/8th but not >1".

I've done that crossing. Used 2 BD ovals, clipped to the top cable. Pretty much any larger gate biner will work, and use your cordelette for the tether so you don't have to bring any special gear. Heard of someone who once brought a bike U lock over the whole traverse just for the cable (!)

I walked the middle cable. I think walking is the way to go, a friend tyroleanned the lower cable and found it hard work pulling his carcass and gear up the last half. If you walk, you just have to push giant balls and cones out of the way, kind of like being on Knockout. Nice to have 2 biners on separate tethers so you can pass the balls and cones while staying clipped in. Make sure your tether isn't too long either. Trying to prussic that if you fell off would be a tiring exercise in frustration. That leather glove trick is cool, have to remember that one...

Edited by mocco

You can take whipper after whipper on biners clipped to tiny stopper cables and bolts. A body weighted fatty cable is benign in comparison.

I wouldn't even bother with the glove, personally. Just clip some borrowed biners on that thing and start pulling.

But there isn't nearly the abrasion involved in whippers in comparison to using an aluminum carabiner as a substitute for a block on wire rope.

Thanks for the info, sounds like walking may be the ticket. Did you hang your pack off the main cable and drag it? I imagine that the cable with the balls and such is a smaller diameter than the lower one that folks Tyrolean?

Interesting tip Pat, but I suspect your are right about just clip and go. And, I wasn't worried about the cable, just the wear on the biner from dragging my fat ass across.

Well, that's why I was asking about the pack.

But perhaps you didn't understand that there is an upper cable to hold onto (but it does have cones and balls you have to clip past, via ferrata style). Sorta like a graduate version of a NZ walkwire. You're not balancing on a single cable the whole way! That would certainly not be the ticket.

But perhaps you didn't understand that there is an upper cable to hold onto (but it does have cones and balls you have to clip past, via ferrata style). Sorta like a graduate version of a NZ walkwire. You're not balancing on a single cable the whole way!

I stand by my doubts.

images8.jpg

From:http://www.flickr.com/photos/95056076@N00/2820265761

Edited by num1mc

I meant to measure the cables when we paddled down the river last fall, but neglected to take any sort of measuring device with me, so it's still on the "to-do" list. The top cable that carries the warning cones is pretty light, so I expect any decent-opening 'biner would fit. The bottom cable is more robust, as it carries the load of the cable-car, and maybe closer to 1".

When passing the cones, I would suggest first giving each one a good "whack" and then backing off a few paces - people have found wasp nests in those things in the past, and you don't want to be clipped on both sides of the cone, fumbling around trying to unclip one of your leashes while the entire nest empties out in your face.

Also there is some serious stretch in the cables, so if you do end up losing balance you can fall over to horizontal (front down) and then bounce back to horizontal (back down) while still clipped to the cable. And getting stung by wasps.

People have swum across the river with their thermarest blown up as a raft too.

Rather than taking a steel biner you can use a short length of 1/4" or 3/16" steel chain and just clip the end links into your alum biner. Also more friction this way which is good for the uphill leg of the cable.

Or go over in style, ride the power.

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/verticality/pulleys/transport-pulleys/tandem