Water purifiers

Erwin

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Judging by my chem school knowledge its pH is *exactly* 7.0... ?

Yeah, but since it's just water, it's pH can be easily effected by any thing it comes in contact with like the CO2 in the air, hence if you test ddH2O the pH generally winds up below 7.0

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this MIOX pen thing will be the way to go, I just checked it out at their website http://www.miox.com pretty cool invention I must say. Sure beats those huge, expensive water filters.

Of course I've never used any water filter. I've been drinking untreated water since I started hiking as a teen (about 16 years) and I've drank the water from every place I've visited (US only). You may think "is he stupid or what?", but part of me believes in letting my body take care of fighting bacteria/foreign organisms/ect., this does not mean I can never get sick, but it hasn't happened yet. One possibilty is that I could be a carrier of Giardia without showing any ill symptoms. I've heard this is possible. What did people do before water filters? I hardly doubt they all boiled water and I am sure some got sick, but the majority did not. Even though it's not supposed to matter, I still always try to obtain water from clear, running sources.

Well, call me stupid, but it's one less thing I have to be concerned about in the wilderness!

40% of people can carry giardia and never develop symptoms. But if they crap near a stream they can screw up the other 60%.

In tests in Colorado in 1996 90% of dogs tested were found to carry giardia.

Dane - you ever drink from Crooked River at Smith?

Some materials your body cannot build up a tolerance or immunity to. Too much and you croak.

What did people do before water filters?

1) got sick. Still do in many parts of the world.

2) drank spring water (usually clean), watered wine, or weak beer, instead of just plain water. Allegedly the Bible mentions wine or beer much more than water as a drink.

3) boiled it.

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 09-26-2001).]