Marmot Mountain Works is closing

CascadeClimber

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that is really sad. It's gotta be hard when your competitors are 1.) a monster sub-T co-op that is not taxed against the dividends it pays its "members", and 2.) internet suppliers that may or may not be subjected to state sales taxes.

I can only guess they could no longer afford being the other guy's "display case." (?) RIP brick and mortar.

Wow I was just thinking last night if they were still in business. I spent a lot of my teenage year lusting over gear. Very sad.

I think their biggest problem was location. The traffic was tolerable 10 years ago. Now that is the busiest intersection on the Eastside.

An institution. When I first started climbing in the early 90's I worked in an office a few blocks away. I spent a lot of my lunch breaks there, buying gear I had no idea how to use. Lara Bitenieks (Kellogg...RIP) worked there when we first met.

Hey Jon it was Wilderness Sports on Northup, I used to know the guys who ran it. How long ago did they close?

Everett was good times. 15 people in a smoked out snow cave for winter bivvy. The rules were somewhat...relaxed up there. And some of the instructors were actually good climbers - even if they weren't club members per se.

And their star graduate was CBS

Everett was good times. 15 people in a smoked out snow cave for winter bivvy. The rules were somewhat...relaxed up there. And some of the instructors were actually good climbers - even if they weren't club members per se.

And their star graduate was CBS

Later vintage. Mine was early 80s. I got lucky. My roommates, co-oworkers, and fellow students were all into it. The mountains were neither crowded nor Cblocked by permit systems. It was a great time to explore the mountains.

The organizations that got me into the mountains - first the Scouts, then the Mounties, have their issues, as most organizations do, but I have nothing but gratitude and love for them, personally. As always, YMMV.

Back to the original topic - MMW - nothing against the store itself, but that location blew goats at 10 cents a herd.

Edited by tvashtarkatena