Closest ice?

ChrisFreye

Since I am new to WA I really don't know that much about the winter here except that it is quite fickle. I know there isn't any ice (except alpine routes if I'm lucky) to be had. Seems like everyone is suggesting going to BC to get on some ice.

So my question is...

Where is the most reliable ice at and can you name some close places that would make a good weekend trip? Multiple options would be ideal.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During cold snaps you can have ice in WA within 1hr from Seattle. Rare and depends on what you want to climb. Anything less than WI4 on the West side gets buried with snow in winter. Get the WA ice guide and check this site during winter to figure out how to work the WA ice season to your benefit.

BC (near Lillooet) is a bit more reliable and 5-6hrs. Some climbs are always in but can get a lot of traffic due to that.

Past that you have similar long drives to:

-Canadian Rockies (Banff, Canmore, Field, icefields pkwy)

-Hyalite Canyon in Bozeman, MT

-Cody, WY. 3-4hrs extra from Bozeman.

Any of these 3 have very reliable ice seasons and are always worth the extra trip, IMO. Doable as a weekend trip if willing to drive through the night.