Ski Length Recommendation for SkiMO?

Newman55

Taking up AT skiing this year. Haven't been skiing for 12 years.

I got Dynafit bindings and boots for Christmas (though I need to unload the boots to trade for something with a better fit. I need to choose skis.

I these will probably be used mostly for beginner ski-mountaineering. I'm pretty set on something at 100 underfoot, but I'm not sure about length.

I'm 5'10" 187lbs - so I've been looking at the 174-181 range.

Does that sound about right? I'll be carrying some weight on my back so should I focus on the higher end of that scale?

I think the frontrunner in my mind is the K2 Coomback.

Feedback appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

for ski mountaineering, true ski mountaineering, 85-95 mm underfoot is considered pretty golden. Bigger skis are heavier and dont give you a lot more performance for skiing steep stuff.

I'm 5'11" 160#, and for true ski mountaineering I use an 85 mm waist ski 176 cm. For general purpose ski touring, that goes up to 95 mm underfoot on 180 cm ski. For reference, I prefer skis that are 189 cm, 110 underfoot for resort skiing, but its pointless to lug those around the backcountry. Lets be real, the snow in the PNW is not blower. You don't need that much float.

The coomback is an ok touring ski, though IMO its the worst of both worlds with minimal camber and minimal rocker. Any ski is fun in powder. Consider buying one that works well on ahrdpack.

ps. skimo means ski mountaineering racing. As in 65 mm waist, 160 cm length, and run.

ski touring usually refers to seeking out the most fun snow to ski, generally of a mellower nature.

ski mountaineering refers to skiing lines on Mountains, not just hills, often requiring diversity of skills beyond those of the average ski tourist.

I know a lot of folks who are real happy with the Dynafit Manaslu,

for what it's worth I was in this camp too until I ripped the binding out of the "stronger" inserts. That makes me and two other personal acquaintances who've had that issue. I don't trust em-- thats what happens when you fix something that wasn't broken.

That said, it has some good dimensions for the one ski quiver

Edited by The Cascade Kid

Consider the K2 backup, backdrop, side stash or hardside. Most often PNW conditions will favor these over coombacks. Coombacks are still good but the others ski better in firmer conditions and corn snow. I'm slightly taller and weight 200. The 181cm backups are Perfect for me. these would be too short for resort skiing and GS turns where I prefer 186-190. I would not go shorter than 181. I would buy the ski with the lowest price, they're all very similar just different amounts of float and weight to haul uphill. If you want a surfy ski just for the 2-4 days of powder you get in a PNW season the coomback is a better choice. The side stash is prob the best compromise if you can only have 1 pair of skis. Backups are lighter and usually cost 1/2 the price of others.