Emmons Ski Decent?

nikitac

Want to climb and ski the emmonds glacier coming this may right when i get out of school and when there is a good weather window. Want to do the whole thing from white river in a day. Leave around 3 am?

Any advice on expected conditions in early to mid may on the route? weak snow bridges? big holes? advisable to do it in a day? any experiences or previous TR rom around the same time?

Any beta would help a ton.

Thanks

Nikita

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good time of year to do it.

Check the park website for current route info - that route's been changing a fair bit recently, with generally more threatening seracs, open crevasses, and mid season route alterations, but it's much more of an issue later in the season than in May.

Conditions change all the time, but you can expect anything from icy death carrots and big sastrugi up higher to postholiness down lower. The Interglacier's usually OK for skiing - it corns up fine depending - the stuff up higher anything goes.

For typical conditions, starting your descent around 11 or so works out OK.

Ski crampons recommended.

Want to climb and ski the emmonds glacier coming this may right when i get out of school and when there is a good weather window. Want to do the whole thing from white river in a day. Leave around 3 am?

What time do you want to start down? 9 hours from White River to Columbia Crest would be quick.

Any advice on expected conditions in early to mid may on the route?

Variable. Depends on spring weather and winter snow pack. Right now the latter is way behind. Snow on the Emmoms seems to get unpleasant for skiing before it does on other routes. I'm not sure when White River opens. With the budget issues they've been opting to close before weather hit and opens later than they would have to.

weak snow bridges?

Possibly.

big holes?

Probably.

advisable to do it in a day?

If you have the lungs and legs, I think it's easier than two days.

any experiences or previous TR rom around the same time?

I tend to try for other routes that time of year. The Emmons is a year-round route but others go out of shape by early June.

• 2 weeks later...