Dog on Mt. St. Helens

leora

There was a distressed domestic dog way up around 7800ft or so - about 1/2 mile east off the Worm Flows ridge. We followed him/her down to about 6700, and saw the dog continue on down to about 6500ft before we headed back to Worm Flows to get ourselves down. I was wondering if anyone had ideas about where to report this, other than the Skamania County Sheriff (did that)? We're hoping that the dog is just lost, and maybe found his way down after our encounter. He didn't want us to touch him. Was some sort of Shepard/sheep dog - mostly white and some black fur. And, if you're out around there, and hear a dog barking, and have time - maybe can help him out.

leora

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting this info. It is my friend's dog. The dog's name is George. He is a black and white English Shepherd with excellent trail experience. The icy conditions on Helens last weekend were a bit too much for him unfortunately.

My friend got separated from his dog high up, couldn't coax George over to the Worm Flows route. He and his climbing partner began descending, as it was getting late in the day, was very windy and icy. They hoped the dog would follow.

We are very glad to know that George did descend a little bit and hopefully continued to do so. There are flyers around the Mt. St. Helens area.

If anyone is up on the mountain or in the vicinity on any of the roads or trails surrounding the mountain, please keep your eye out.

Call me or the Skamania County Sheriff if you see or hear of anything, if you have any information.

Katie: 320-905-3212

Skamania Sheriff: 509-427-5047

Are you asking that we call Skamania Sheriff to report your friend's stupidity and negligant behavior?

I'm pretty sure taking a dog on a hike is legal just about everywhere, even if the hike happens to be above the treeline. And people do it often.

Not saying that's a good thing- I personally hate dealing with other peoples dogs. But it doesn't strike me as negligent or stupid.

this is absolutely terrible. the dog got scared, confused, and they left it. the fliers are supposed to help? what was the backup plan? were they prepared to take care of the dog like they woulld take care of a climbing partner?

most recreational areas require the dogs to be leashed.

http://mshinstitute.org/index.php/climbing/obtain_a_permit

Dogs are allowed but not recommended. Ash and pumice can be harmful to a dog’s pads, and dogs are as susceptible to snowblindness as humans. There is no shade or water. If your dog gets into trouble, there is no rescue system.

I'm pretty sure taking a dog on a hike is legal just about everywhere, even if the hike happens to be above the treeline. And people do it often.

Many places do not allow dogs. Almost all national parks restrict dog access to parking lots of very specific trails. For example: Teton National Park, no dogs anywhere except parking lots; NCNP, no dogs (except on a leash and on the PCT). On a cross country trip we took our dog to Vedauwoo and the Wind Rive Range, those were essentially the only two majoy areas we could go. I'm also pretty sure dogs are not allowed up on MRNP.

Gotta say that is pretty fucking lame as well. Dogs are allowed on St Helens. But WTF dog could not follow on the route they wanted to go so they left it and hoped it would follow? Should have walked their asses over to him and gone down a route that it could follow. If the dog is found they should give up ownership like this person:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-give-custody-dog-abandoned-colorado-mountain-article-1.1161669

Leora good on ya for at least trying to do something.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...