Mt. Rainier Ski Dorm?

bdcast34

I've always wondered. What is the ski dorm being used for up on Rainier? I tried to do some quick research and found that back in the day it was 50 cents to stay the night and that it can house 80 people... but that's all I could find.

Cheers

Edited by bdcast34

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered. What is the ski dorm being used for up on Rainier? I tried to do some quick research and found that back in the day it was 50 cents to stay the night and that it can house 80 people... but that's all I could find.

By "back in the day" do you mean in the 1930s and 1940s?

I don't think there has been a ski dorm at Paradise since way back then. There used to be a lot of buildings at Paradise that are long gone today.

If you're referring to something else, you'll need to clarify.

You can find some notes about the early days at Mt Rainier here:

http://alpenglow.org/ski-history/subjects/R-info.html#mt-rainier-park

There is a new ski dorm there now, the tall one with the "tunnel" that continues to the concessions employees dorm.

The new ski dorm houses seasonal employees, mostly climbing rangers so they can stay somewhat acclimatized rather than staying at Longmire. I don't remember when it was built though, maybe 10 years ago?

The old ski dorm is probably what you are talking about. It was on the down hill side of the big parking lot that was used for the old space ship shaped Jackson visitor center. Of course the parking lot is still there even though they moved the visitor center.

The old ski dorm was really long, and did hold about 80 people. It was mostly seasonal employees in the 1980's with some permanent employees coming up from Longmire in the summer.

I know, because I lived there a couple years. We bunked 4 to a room. It wasn't really crowded though, because most of the employees spent there whole life in the paradise bar.

It was an old structure and probably did get rented out prior to the 70's or 80's. It was a shame they tore it down, it really should have been preserved.

Having a ski dorm open and available for anyone to show up and rent falls under the same risks and requirements that a hotel would. Possibly there isn't enough demand or the Park Service uses general funds for other things or both.

Huts are rented and run by private concessions in Europe, but the US has different rules and regulations. The ACC runs huts in Canadian Parks, but that ain't here.