eastern oregon

oregon111

Hi, I do some climbing (mostly bouldering now), but haven't ice climbed yet. I think I'd like to in the future.

I am headed out in a day or two to do of all things - outdoor ice skating on some frozen lakes (if it all works out).

If anyone has any suggestions on where to look for ice climbs in eastern oregon, please say so. I may be able to swing by and take pics. but I'm not going extend myself real far in the mountains.

for example, I found a whole bunch last year northwest of john day.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strawberry's aren't a place for first time ice climbers.

There is some short ice at Anthony lakes, hike up to Hoffer lakes, there is a short 20' falls up angel basin on the right side hiking up just after leaving hoffer lakes (couple hundred yards up from the lake on the right). Good little top rope spot. Can also access by riding the lift up then skiing down to Hoffer and then up toward Angel Basin.

I didn't see anything where I went this trip, but I did sleep in my car where it got down to -1. That was a cold night in a cramped honda civic. Wished I still had my SUV.

In case you are also interested in 'frozen lake' ice skating, the only thing that wasn't real bumpy was some frozen drainage ditches - which I skated on. Hockey skates are horrible for that - feet hurt like heck. Saw some stuff on internet about nordic ice skating - that looks like a much better way to do it.

I'll post some pics from last Jan - when I was around the john day river. There was lots of ice for the climbing - one was just a few feet from the road. I'll post those pics soon. But most of the pics were really bad. It looked much better in real life.

In short, I have to say that eastern oregon is waaaaaaay colder than the cascades. The stretch of road between Ukiah and La Grande (especially closer to la grande) looked like an area that should have had some ice - it had some cliffs and was very, very cold (the river was frozen). (maybe look for side creeks that have a breif falls section?)

the rest of what I saw did not even have cliffs, let alone water running over cliffs.

I have in the past, hiked up to anthony lakes and saw the small waterfall in summer. I also hiked up in the strawberry's in summer, but got turned back at the lake by a really nasty lightning storm. I doubt that making it to the falls in winter is doable - you would have to start really far down the mountain in winter and the trail side slopes are really steep. I also hiked in summer to see the falls just south of Enterprise. Probably the Wallowas would be the best bet.

You'll like the pics I'll post from last year.

You have to turn this into a trip report with pics, you would be in serious running for oddest TR ever on CC climbers. Seriously, make a TR out of this :), no offense intended, I don't ever remember reading something this obscure on this site.

I didn't see anything where I went this trip, but I did sleep in my car where it got down to -1. That was a cold night in a cramped honda civic. Wished I still had my SUV.

In case you are also interested in 'frozen lake' ice skating, the only thing that wasn't real bumpy was some frozen drainage ditches - which I skated on. Hockey skates are horrible for that - feet hurt like heck. Saw some stuff on internet about nordic ice skating - that looks like a much better way to do it.

I'll post some pics from last Jan - when I was around the john day river. There was lots of ice for the climbing - one was just a few feet from the road. I'll post those pics soon. But most of the pics were really bad. It looked much better in real life.

In short, I have to say that eastern oregon is waaaaaaay colder than the cascades. The stretch of road between Ukiah and La Grande (especially closer to la grande) looked like an area that should have had some ice - it had some cliffs and was very, very cold (the river was frozen). (maybe look for side creeks that have a breif falls section?)

the rest of what I saw did not even have cliffs, let alone water running over cliffs.

I have in the past, hiked up to anthony lakes and saw the small waterfall in summer. I also hiked up in the strawberry's in summer, but got turned back at the lake by a really nasty lightning storm. I doubt that making it to the falls in winter is doable - you would have to start really far down the mountain in winter and the trail side slopes are really steep. I also hiked in summer to see the falls just south of Enterprise. Probably the Wallowas would be the best bet.

You'll like the pics I'll post from last year.

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pics from last yr, mid jan - these are close to the john day river

I guess these would be in when leavenworth or banks lake is in

some are roadside, and some you have to cross the river, or walk a ways in from a bridge (most likely pvt property issues)

there is a lot more in this area than these pics

5024.thumb.jpg.cdf32b64ee91493043c41871e5523600.jpg

5025.thumb.jpg.9b1b0641cc75445d70f789811adf5e38.jpg

5026.thumb.jpg.0d530db3433ee1ceba4e74b4b55501ad.jpg

5027.thumb.jpg.b78816b9c63e0788e3d8b29f36c7b9b2.jpg

5028.thumb.jpg.608012b1041c9a2d9f3bcb49099d1340.jpg

a few more odds and ends - some ice for skating too - if you are into that kind of thing

sorry for making such a weird thread - but I hope you like the pics

I cant say that I can get too excited about a sport (ice climbing) that happens about (a week per year) within a half a day to a day's drive from Portland

but I'll be doing some more lake/creek/pond skating - maybe I'll build a website for that

and finally, I'll say that probably the only ice for climbing in north-east oregon (not including central oregon) is in the strawberries, anthony lake, by joseph, and where I took these pics by the john day river - all else is just dirt hills

5029.thumb.jpg.a375169ca5389b3c0e3114df90b49827.jpg

5030.thumb.jpg.d933e2b7c0216cccee9f67c3e65267f6.jpg

5031.thumb.jpg.2a808b476926a6cdafc1cdbd595efc63.jpg

5032.thumb.jpg.7206d8c0e8198fa1c288b9471ac409c1.jpg

5033.thumb.jpg.9d467a3a9f5b27a14f311ad9e5c85cc9.jpg

Edited by oregon111

and a few more - might as well put them up here too

I got a little bit of fever seeing these ice cliffs (all ice cliffs this thread in same area) because they can be gotten to without a whole lot of hiking/skiing/snowshoeing/posthholing/etc

and nice and small and many to choose from

the biggest approach issue would be trying to cross the river in a raft when the river is half or partially frozen

5034.thumb.jpg.1f7dacb8dce6d45811a3b1fdc6544cef.jpg

5035.thumb.jpg.403b56b9a16c556633f832f986fcec07.jpg

5036.thumb.jpg.4b3ff690a7586588ab27b3dbd843e538.jpg

5037.thumb.jpg.c07e4352866a8936065652f97d1d2c3d.jpg

5038.thumb.jpg.e86fcdb67af76af3600b027e20c76a09.jpg

• 5 years later...