Whats the best soft shell pant for BC skiing?

sepultura

Was hoping to get some opinions on what people think is the best. Maybe I am unrealistic or just plain hard on stuff but I can not seem to get more than a couple of seasons out of my pants! Been trying various brand over the years but nothing seems to hold up. Biggest complaint is the buckles on my boots rubbing through the fabric, seems like cuff protection all the way around would be wise. Does this exist? Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking specifically about the TLT buckle rubbing a hole on the outer ankle area when in walk mode? I have some Arcteryx pants that I'm thinking I'll reinforce the inside of the pant leg with some duct tape in that spot before the hole appears.

Oh, and yes, you probably ski enough that you'll wear out most pants in 2 seasons. :laf:

The Arcteryx Gamma SK are the best softshell ski pant I've used.

I actually saw somewhere where a person had taken a new pair of pants and cut a hole for the TLT buckle. They reinforced the edges of the cut with some fancy stitching I think. So, perhaps that is what you need to do Scott, quit fighting it and just cut out the ragged part!

• 2 weeks later...

OR Trailbreakers are great. They have a bunch of big pockets and some great vents so they may be heavier and more complicated then some want. I actually use mine more for climbing then skiing but they work for both.

I also had a pair of Patagonia backcountry guides that held up for 4 seasons of skiing and guiding. Again on the heavy and featured side. Definitely baggier then the Trailbreakers. To baggy for me to use them as climbing pants.

I was also on the search for softshell bibs and picked up a pair of BD Dawn Patrol hybrid bibs.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/pants-bibs/dawn-patrol-hybrid-bib-APGDB2_cfg.html?dwvar_APGDB2__cfg_color=Azurite#start=1

I've put about 25 days on them so far and am very happy. When I first tried them on they felt very snug, euro tight, but they quickly stretched out a bit on the first day and now they fit great. Not tight and not baggy. Only durability issue so far is that the little diamond logo on the pocket is pealing off. Since I'm not sponsored I figure that is more BD's problem then mine.

I think any pair of pants is going to need a little bit of added armor to deal with the TLT buckle.

• 2 months later...