chair peak

dr._jay

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pointless approach beta follows:

Didn't feel like running tonight so I hiked up to chair instead. Left the car at 7:10pm was at the bottom of the first pitch on the nf at 9:35pm, bulletproof all the way. The good news is it's cold up there and everything is frozen, crust and all. Had my tools and crampons with me so I made a few moves onto the ice, thick enough for stubbies for sure, maybe even a 17cm. Though secure, the ice did feel a little areated(sp?).

... So there I am, on ice, with tools, crampons, a descent rope in my pack, headlamp, great conditions, no wind, all the stars out, all alone, having that debate in my head, should I or shouldn't I. - Oh wait a minute, I did forget something - balls!

That's easy. Just head up there and look around. That N. Face of Chair is pretty good because it is overall a simple and barely technical line up a somewhat imposing face, but all you have to do is head up there and pick a gully and start climbing and I am sure you will find something. Bring a pair of binoculars and scope it out as best you can, and then be prepared to find out that you may have made a bad choice. But it is really that easy.

With recent warm temps, there may not be a lot of ice but there will certainly be a lot of steep snow climbs that could provide plenty of entertainment and I am sure it is there too if ice is what you want.

Here's the NOAA weather forecast for Snoqualmie Pass on Saturday:

SATURDAY...VERY STORMY... A STRONG CHANCE OF THUNDER, LIGHTNING, HIGH WINDS, EXTREME AVALANCHE CONDITIONS, AND HEAVY RAINS... SNOW LEVEL 7000 FEET...WITH UP TO 3 INCHES NEW LIQUID PRECIPITATION. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES 50 TO 55. WIND IN THE PASSES AND FOOTHILLS EAST 45 TO 55 MPH. STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. CLIMBERS SHOULD GO TO EXIT 38 INSTEAD.

grin.gif

I heard from a friend of a friend who said that his friend told him that his partners ex-girlfriends brothers freind went up there and said the ice was too thin. Then again...he was also a friend of Scot'teryx...so take report that with a grain of salt. cantfocus.gif