chair peak

dr._jay

The avalanche center reports that "2 to 5 feet of snowfall

accumulated at Hurricane Ridge and at sites near the Cascade

crest last week." More is on the way, and freezing levels are rising and expected to rise to 5,000 feet Wednesday before starting to fall again while it keeps snowing. This means there should be lots of deep snow, maybe a layer of crust somewhere, and very little ice or rock pro available. This is probably not the best time to go looking for technical climbing in the Snoqualmie Alps.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up there last night. There was not a lot of light due to the proximity to the new moon, but from what I saw the north face was very white. It is quite likely that the snow on the face is hard and icy due to the rain and subsequent freeze in the area. THe approach is a highway. Leave your snowshoes and skis at home, unless it gets warm again. Like it appears to be doing today.

it's all a matter of opinion. perhaps i shouldn't have been so glib in my description. I should've stopped at crusty. soooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrry. If you want a detailed report you'll have to wait until i'm in the mood to type that much. I was just giving my general impressions. shoot!

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Good/safe climbing coditions arent really the best for ski/boarding so icy/crusty can be good or bad.

Crust over a bunch of soft snow could be problematic for a number of reasons, cause it might not be good for climbing or skiing.

Did you get up on the route at all?

Thanks for the info.

Col. S. pardon my hostility. I wasn't planning on writing a trip report for a trip that never panned out. Figured i'd toss out some observations based on my recent presence in the area.

We were a little slow in getting up and out the door this morning (too much bigdrink.gif) so we didn't get up the route very far. I had to get back down the house (damn work!) Made it more of an exploratory trip in prep for an attempt tomorrow. What we did see was crusty stuff on top of softer snow. I wouldn't say the conditions are ideal for climbing or skiing. Just my opinion. I definitely wouldn't want to ski the crud and climbing it isn't ideal but i'll do it.