Road bike on the cheap

Ben Beckerich

Howdy

I haven't ridden a bike since I was about 13. I live in Saint Helens and frequently chill in Portland-and-surrounding.... what an awesome way to exercise and cut fuel cost? But I might hate it, so I'm not looking to spend a lot.

What's the 90s cheap but still useable bike I should be looking for? Budget is: as little as possible, until I'm sure it's something I'm actually gonna be doing. Terrain will be hwy 30 between Portland and Saint Helens, with the occasional trip over Rocky Point road (since biking on Corn Pass is fucking retarded)

Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start with a disclosure: I am a rank newb at cycling. I cycle to work on weekdays and rode a fair amount last summer recreationally.

New bikes are cheap this time of year. Maybe paradoxically, it's a better idea for you to spend a little more - say, around $500 - to obtain something you'll enjoy riding and has resale value, in the event you don't enjoy it, and do need to sell it - then spend $100-200 on some POS you won't enjoy riding and definitely can't resell. And even if you do enjoy riding said POS, you'll want to upgrade right away because you'll become conscious of its limitations.

Example:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/4258111069.html

This appears to be a well-cared for, quality machine. You could probably get that for $500. Your minimum level of componentry that you want to get is Shimano 105, which this bike features. My guess is you need a frame size 54, which is really common, but you might be a little smaller. The Gatorskin tires are going to be more flat resistant than most tires, and you'll need that quality if you ride on Highway 30. Riding on that highway sucks. The shoulders are covered with debris. Last time I was out there I got a nasty pinch flat after hitting a random chunk of asphalt. I recommend the many windy pastoral roads around Skyline - McNamee Road, Rocky Point, Rocky Creek, West Germantown, Cornell, NW 53rd (which goes through Forest Park). There is riding gold in them hills!

Were I you, I'd figure out my size by demoing a couple bikes at Performance or River City Outlet, and if not buying one new there (because again, new bikes are cheap right now), see what I can find on craigslist in the $500 range. Below that, I'm sure there are deals out there for people who can buy a frame and parts and put them together, but they aren't obvious to me.

I think of it as I think of mountaineering. I could try to summit in pack boots and ski pants with a borrowed ice axe, but my enjoyment of the experience is going to be so minimal that I won't want to do it again. Investing in a road bike has made me more willing to spend money on gear for mountaineering.

This guy's presentation skills need work, but I think he makes a point you might relate to. He has a suggestion on a quality economical road bike you can buy:

The other issue with going with dad's old bike from the 70's or 80's:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bik/4209463612.html

Where are you going to get parts for it when it breaks? The internal componentry is probably seized or rusted, to some degree - diminishing the bike's reliability and critically, efficiency. You'll be biking long distances if you ride to Portland and back.

whoever is charging you 250 for that Panasonic is minting money. Its worth 50$ at most. If you are patient with craigslist and start refining your searches, you can find really excellent bikes for reasonable sums.

I intend to start building a bike of my own, frame up. Totally open to suggestions for good, less expensive-but-still-rad-frames to look for

As well as other parts

Sounds like you're looking for a road frame? If not, I do have a 2007 Gary Fisher Ferrous MTB 19" frame only that I'd give you for dirt cheap since it's been hanging from my garage ceiling since about 2008 and I want it gone. It has that "eccentric" BB that can be used for single speed or standard with vertical dropouts in the back. I built it up once, rode it for one week, then realized it was too big for me. Still, it was a nice, soft ride and could probably be configured as a burly commuter.

Looks like this one.