BD Blizzard Harness

David_Parker

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure the Chaos doesn't work. The blizzard is similar but carries a few changes that make it more "ice" friendly. This is what I need/want. I'm sure it will suffice for rock as well, but I'm looking for the features that make it geared towards ice.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/alpinism/harnesses.html

Edited by David_Parker

I have a blizzard and kind of wish I didn't. I actually prefered my old Bod harness. I still use an Alpine Bod for a lot of stuff. I don't think it's worth the additional cash. The only real plus I could see is that the Blizzard doesn't have fleece on it for the snow to stick to, it's also harder to drop the leg loops on it.

David,

I considered the Blizzard this spring, ordered it and discovered it was almost the same harness as this guy, http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=660378&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1 which I already owned. The only discernable difference was the extra 2" on the waist belt of the blizzard, which wouldn't be a problem even with extra clothing on. So, I sent it back and bought a Petzl, which has its drawbacks, but it's comfy and my wife likes the rei special.

In response to

Poster: Highlander

Subject: Re: BD Blizzard Harness

I prefer Petzl. The no double back harnesses are great, and stiff plastic gear loops are nice as well.

I got the Petzl calidris, and it rocks for rock climbing and I like hard plastic gear loops, though if you ever find yerself going somewhere that you may have a loaded pack and the harness on, the plastic shit on the back will get annoying as will the gear loops, and it doesn't pack down all that well. The buckle system is really nice, somehow it's permanently doubled back which helps when ya got's dem cold digits.

dave,

have the blizard harness and the only thing that i do not like about it is the rise in the harness...(aka the belay loop length) makes it tighter around the boys a bit....but only really noticable after long periods of hanging......you prolly wont have this problem as your frame is smaller then mine.....

arcteryx vapor harness is identical....but without the little spaces behind the webbing on the waist belt......

good harness.....

petzl harnesses suck imho......they tend to wear very quickly (the foam comes apart from the backing) and the plastic gear loops suck for wearing a pack.....also the leg adjuster holder dealy bob in the back breaks off and then you have that saggin harness feeling.....

bigdrink.gif

I have a bliz and love it. I have used it for craggin, alpinin' and snow outin's. I used to use a alpine bod and the bliz hangs much better. I have to 2nd the Petzl opinion that they wear out fast. My bliz is going strong while one of my climbing buds is getting ready for his 2nd Petzl harness in the same period.

IMO when I bought mine there wasn't a lighter harness that fit meet me and had all the same functionality.

-Mike