New soft/hard shell pants: Single solution?

KaiLarson

Typically, for summer alpine I've brought softshell pants that I wear 95% of the time, and I keep a pair of lightweight shell pants (typically Marmot Precips) in my pack for fending off heavy rain if necessary. I typically don't climb in the rain, but I've occasionally found myself in protracted rain, especially on approaches and descents.

Given the new breed of highly weather proof soft shells (Patagonia knifeblade, Rab Stretch neo) I'm wondering if I could get away with just the softshell and leave the Precip pants behind.

Thinking that the knifeblade pants might be a great all-in-one replacement. What is the wisdom of the Cascadian collective?

Edited by KaiLarson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knifeblade pant discussion here.

I ordered the Knifeblade's and wasn't impressed with the size and cut. Way to baggy on the men's medium. The Power Shield Pro appears top-notch, but I don't think the seams are taped, making them not waterproof. In soaking, pouring rain, I wouldn't trust them to keep water out. Plus, they would take a lot longer to dry than the Precip pants would.

For me, in summertime, any type of softshell is just too warm. I go with light nylon pants and nothing else for weekend climbs. On a longer trip where the weather is more uncertain, I take a lightweight waterproof shell pant to round out the kit. Then again, I am a fair weather climber who will change destinations based on the forecast.

Unless you're doing the Hoh in the rainstorm, The hardest thing you should need for your bottom round here is a pair of wind pants - Montane makes a 4 oz pair. I carry them if weather/high winds are possible, but almost never use them. I haven't taken hardshell pants on a trip in years.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I've had good experience with pants of Schoeller fabrics in a couple of different brands. I prefer the THIN versions, so I can wear them in warm weather, or layer underneath them for colder trips. They breathe extremely well, and I have rappeled through a waterfall in one pair,while my legs remained dry (quite a surprise - magic?!?). I've heard great reports about "neo-shell", but I don't know if anyone makes pants out of it -- I've only seen jackets. For me, brand is less important then what they're made of.

I've had good experience with pants of Schoeller fabrics in a couple of different brands. I prefer the THIN versions, so I can wear them in warm weather, or layer underneath them for colder trips. They breathe extremely well, and I have rappeled through a waterfall in one pair,while my legs remained dry (quite a surprise - magic?!?). I've heard great reports about "neo-shell", but I don't know if anyone makes pants out of it -- I've only seen jackets. For me, brand is less important then what they're made of.

• 1 month later...

I have the Rab Neo Strech jacket. It breathes very well and has proven itself to be waterproof in the craziest of downpours in the PNW. I have also read good reviews about the Rab neo stretch pants. If they are anything like the jacket they must be good. The neo fabric is the real deal. Check out this review on Cold Thistle. http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/02/on-1st-ascent-of-chucky-rab-neoshell.html

Stretch Neo Pants are great for some things. I wore mine all day yesterday doing some pretty wet ice climbing without major complaints. But for what you describe (summer alpine) there are better choices. I still prefer a very light stretch woven softshell, with cheaper and very light rain pants maybe in the pack, based on the forecast. More versatile and no need to tear up high dollar pants bushwhacking, sliding on scree slopes, etc.