• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
mountainsandsound

early winter on Rainier

Getting excited about this high pressure coming in. Have been wanting to attempt a winter ascent of Rainier during one of those bouts of high pressure- which looks like it is on the way.

Even if the avy danger is low and weather forecast excellent, the snow coverage gives me pause. I haven't been following the snow report consistently, but I know it's been a dry fall and winter. This doesn't look too good:

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf

What do you winter hardmen/women say? Would thinly bridged crevasses be a serious issue with our snowpack right now? I'd be inclined to go for the ID or the DC route.

I climbed Gib Ledges November 24 and found route conditions better than I expected. We simul-soloed to the top, skied from the top to Gib Rock, downclimbed the ledges, skied the Cowlitz back to Muir, and from Muir to the lot.

The icefall of the ID did not look passable at that time, but we didn't go take a close look either. It was problematic to get through last January.

Edited by CascadeClimber

It was fine, but I've done it many times.

You've done it so many times you should change your name to RainierClimber.