J-Tree Rest Day Recommendations

bstach

Will be in J-Tree with my wife and 6 year old son over the xmas break, looking for some suggestions for rest day activities aside from the obvious interpretive trails and Desert Hot Springs spas. Can anyone recommend a good scramble to a scenic vista for a young, but capable child. Or perhaps recommend some good, easy toproping locations (think 5.5 and under)?

I also thought it might be cool to check out the San Andreas fault, since my son has an interest in geology. Anyone know where the best place to see it is? I read there is a spot at 1000 Palms Oasis. Is that the place to go? Also, I have read Keys View has a nice view of it (and the rest of the valley).

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thx

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is good hiking almost anywhere, especially with a kid because the hiking/scrambling around the crags is mostly easy. For something more ambitious, there is Queen Mtn., which also has crags but much more relief and views.

Also, I have read Keys View has a nice view of it (and the rest of the valley).
Key's View if fine but kind of a drive up, hop out, take a few pics and drive back kind of an attraction. I'd really recommend the tour of Keys Ranch, an abandoned homestead out by the Wonderland of Rocks. You have to go with a Park Service group (make a reservation), but it's pretty cool how those folks made a go of it.

If you need to get out of the Park completely, the drive into Palm Springs is only about 45minutes. The Air Museum, or Patton Tank museum may not be interesting to a six yr old, but the Tram to San Jacinto is cool. I also remember a water park in PS - if it's still there, that had a rock climb TR wall.

There are some cool hikes in JT Park to gold mines, but again may be boring - the drive up to Keys View is ok, but may not show much of the Fault. I've driven up to several hundred feet of it down in the valley near the town of Desert Hot Springs.

Well if the air is really clear the tram has the best views. Palm Desert has a nice zoo with a three mile hike out the back gate with some views. I think the views of the fault are more dramatic from the west side of the valley, there are some trails going up from 74 and 111 that a hardy 6 year old may be ok with. Don't know that I'd hike up to the top of the South Astro Dome with a 6 year old but he would be able to do it and its really cool up there.