Strategic Shoveling

bstach

Found a link to strategic shoveling on the Canadian Avalanche Center web site: strategic shoveling

I took an avalanche safety course about 10 years ago and don't recall any teaching or practise on strategic shoveling. Heavy emphasis on pits and beacon searches though. Yet, according to the article, much more time will be spent on digging than beacon searches. Curious if mountaineering schools are putting more emphasis on this now? How many of you have actually received training on this and have practised digging techniques?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is pretty amazingly efficient when you have 2-3 folks shoveling, especially for deep burials. And, as others have said, it is standard practice in the modern Avi courses. If you haven't taken one recently, I'd highly recommend it. I was amazed how much the curricula has changed in the past 10 years.

I can specifically recommend any course that Kurt Hicks is involved in thru AAI in Bellingham. I took a level 1 course that he led last season and it was fantastic.