[TR] Mt. Ellinor - "Scottish" Gulley 12/16/2013

David_Parker

Trip: Mt. Ellinor - "Scottish" Gulley

Date: 12/16/2013

Trip Report:

My son Jordan came home from college In Utah. He said he wanted to do a climb with me. Monday was the best forecast so we headed to Mt. Ellinor even though I've climbed it 5 or 6 times. It was foggy, but I felt confident we could get above the cloud deck. It was fairly warm too. We arrived at the parking lot and no other cars. Headed up the trail and soon came to the choice of summer route or gulley. Jordan said gulley so we went right. I expected more snow. We weaved around rocks to keep our feet in the snow. The rocks were coated in verglass.

P1030439.jpg

The gulley narrowed and became ice so we put on our crampons and pulled out our ice axes. This was Jordan's first time ever wearing spikes. We continued up and broke above the cloud deck into brilliant sunshine!

P1030443.jpg

Soon we came to a fun little ice patch flowing in from the side. This was a good opportunity to show Jordan some front pointing with 2 tools. I climbed it first then came down to coach him up.

P1030453.jpg

Further up we decided to make the climb more sporty so we traversed left across to some other less traveled gulleys. We chose the one on the left because it looked steeper.

P1030458.jpg

Here's a photo of Jordan looking down about 1/3 up.

P1030461.jpg

We gained the ridge and got a nice view of Rainier, St. Helens and Adams poking above the cloud deck.

P10400011.jpg

Another broad section looked like it might have another gulley at the top...

P10400021.jpg

P10400062.jpg

...which it did and ended with a few moves on rock.

P1040010.jpg

P1040012.jpg

P1040016.jpg

Then it was the final slopes to the summit.

P10400191.jpg

P10400231.jpg

P1040024.jpg

The views of the interior of the Olympics were fabulous! We then headed down, chasing the cloud deck as it broke up and it was sunny in the parking lot.

P1040026.jpg

By far the most fun I've had on Mt. Ellinor, climbing with my son and making a routine hike fairly sporty and "alpine"!

Gear Notes:

Ice axe, crampons, x-mas tree

Approach Notes:

summer trail was slick on the way down. Not enough snow to glissade.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...