Suggestions for winter access to Middle Sister?

leora

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aside from the most detailed geographical suggestion above, (ok ok I agree with the sentiment), I believe pole creek rd via truck&snomo is the MO for M/N Sister access in full winter. I forget who it was, one of these bend guys who posted a nice early season (March?) TR of circumnavigating North about two years ago, I am pretty sure they went the sled route to pole ck TH area for access.

Also might look at upper three creeks snopark. I think an ok cross country route could be had, maybe especially after the fire down there in 2012 with a good base you could make good time and get towards the E side of middle. I did a quick route draw and was getting about 7~ miles to sort of the area below the hayden glacier. (my usual basecamp in that area).

i too would be interested in hearing any other logistical suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, it turns out that the forest road to Pole Creek Trailhead is still open, and there was only some ice and snow on the last maybe 3 miles before the Trailhead. The trail, itself seemed to have quite a bit of travel on it. We saw a couple of (unhappy) skiers over the weekend. Middle Sister was in fine form, although there were some huge ice gargoyles that would randomly let loose on the way up the north ridge.

leora