Gunks climber moving in, looking for a partner

Elihamblet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mazama is the closest town with actual climbers living there. Visit the climbing shop there to get started, around an hour drive from Omak. Next - Skaha in Canada straight north. In spring and on I suspect that's where you'll be all the time, similar setup to Gunks but different climbing.

Winter cragging - depends what you want to train for. For Patagonia/Karakoram, get a snowmobile and http://www.supertopo.com/packs/washington-pass.html for starters :) Leavenworth too has a great(and advanced) all-around crowd, and plenty of climbing: rock, alpine, bouldering, ice. Under 2.5 hours drive from Omak.

Regular rock climbers in winter go to Vantage - basalt columns, cracks and bolted face, Index - granite, cracks and face climbs, Trout Creek - basalt columns, Smith Rock when it is dry and sunny. Over 3 hours and up from Omak in that order.

Twisp (under 1hr) has a great coffee shop - Blue Star Coffee, I will be there Jan 1-5, and might drive out to Mazama to look at the Goat Wall: in warm season has very nice climbs, including multi-pitch, now - waterfall ice.

Welcome to Washington.

Thank you so much for the local beta, I was begining to dispair over the lack of climbing!

Glad to hear there is a Gunks quality destination, never heard of it but I will sure be checking it out!

Also, basic partner info:

I have a rack rope and ride, climb 5.10 trad and boulder v5.

Edited by Elihamblet

• 2 weeks later...