[TR] Wheeler Mountain, Snohomish Co - Wheeler Dealer WI2+/3, Grade I 12/8/2013

hanman

Trip: Wheeler Mountain, Snohomish Co - Wheeler Dealer WI2+/3, Grade I

Date: 12/8/2013

Trip Report:

Nice cold spell we have had. Since living near Oso for a few years, I have become aware of the many steep creek beds that exist on Wheeler Mountain just behind our property. At 3570 feet, it’s not tall, but does have some fairly steep ravines and never sees 1 minute of daily sun on the cold north face. We also get a cold outflow of cooled air from the Boulder River Wilderness, Bullen Mtn, 3 Fingers, Whitehorse, and the like. In 2011, a large landslide was triggered up high, and even diverted our creek and left us flooded in the driveway for a couple months http://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/large-landslide-across-dnr-managed-trust-land-in-snohomish-county-no-residences-or-private-property-were-involved/

So I hopped in the car with the dogs and took a look at the possibilities given the cold temps of the last week. Danny C came up on Sunday morning, and we took off up the thing. Good times, lots of WI2 with a couple 3 steps thrown in. Overall we climbed about 900 feet in the narrow creek bed. We could have gone further, but the angle decreased beyond. The descent was through a steep forested rib between landslide forks, steep enough to require a ½ rope rap. The landslide really made this possible, as the insulative trees and brush are clear in a 100 foot wide swath top to bottom. Cold, clear, and open to the sky.

We call it Wheeler Dealer. A brief glimpse of the route may be had on Hwy 530 about ½ mile past the eastern Oso Loop Road junction.

Really cool to climb a long easy ice line 10 minutes from my backyard. Thanks Danny!

M.Hanna

DSCN03062.JPG

DSCN0302.JPG

DSCN03012.JPG

DSCN03081.JPG

DSCN0317.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN03242.JPG

DSCN0318.JPG

Gear Notes:

Screws and screamerz

Approach Notes:

Hwy 530 to Oso

Edited by hanman

• 8 years later...

Probably frozen solid, but covered with alder whips by now. Maybe not, might be fun! Mark (hanman) still lives at the base, I'll encourage him to chime in.

If you want a bigger adventure, maybe check out Asbestos Creek, up the FS #2060? 

Edited by curtveld
  • Like 1