Gauntlet: Hot or Not?

jared_j

Whenever I've wanted a glove for climbing that was heavier than a liner or an OR Vert, I've opted for something with a gauntlet because that was all l had. Seems like undercuff style gloves are popular for skiing (or at least on teton gravity). I always found the gauntlet fussy, and now in the market again for a warmer glove and thinking of something undercuff styled. Primary use would be general climbing use in colder temps, moderate alpine stuff. Am I missing something? Doesn't seem like most gloves marketed to climbers are designed this way .

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both gauntlet and non-gauntlet style glove without a preference; how well it climbs and appropriateness for the temperature are more important.

Depending on what you mean by "colder" temps, I'd disagree with Keenwesh about Punishers. I use mine for ice climbing down to about 0F, beyond that I need something warmer. For colder temps, OR's Alpine Alibi gloves are pretty immaculate. They climb almost as well as the Punishers and are much, much warmer.

• 4 weeks later...
I use both gauntlet and non-gauntlet style glove without a preference; how well it climbs and appropriateness for the temperature are more important.

Depending on what you mean by "colder" temps, I'd disagree with Keenwesh about Punishers. I use mine for ice climbing down to about 0F, beyond that I need something warmer. For colder temps, OR's Alpine Alibi gloves are pretty immaculate. They climb almost as well as the Punishers and are much, much warmer.

yep.

my kit is punisher pros (with goretex) and OR arete (also goretex).

the punishers have more dexterity and are great for leading. but on a recent climb of a high-flow WI route, even when temps were in mid-teens, i got rained on. and my gauntlet-less, under-cuff punishers provided a perfect route for water into the sleeves of my jacket. i imagine a similar situation with consistent spindrift, unless you can cinch your sleeves really tightly.

bottom line: the gauntlet is awesome, and i find it to be a simple and reliable insurance policy. the aretes aren't ideal for climbing super technical stuff, but i find them sufficient for following, leading moderates, they are super warm, the shell+liner design allows them to dry waaaaaay faster, they have a stellar idiot cord and a pull-on loop, and aren't very expensive. if OR made alpine alibi small enough, i'd go for those, for sure.