[TR] Mist Falls - ? 12/6/2013

areport!

Trip: Mist Falls - ?

Date: 12/6/2013

Trip Report:

The Columbia River Gorge has some ice! Mist Falls, while a little bit wet, is climbable. A nice, easy 1 pitch route.

Gear Notes:

A few screws.

A pic or two here-

http://www.fortyfivedegreesnorth.com/blog/2013/12/6/columbia-river-gorge-ice

Approach Notes:

From Portland, take exit 28 to Bridal Veil Falls and continue east on Historic Highway a couple miles to a pullout on the right just before Wahkeena falls. A trail leads up to the base of the route.

Edited by areport!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I found this link, and, though it doesn't say "Mist Falls," I think it's beta on the same place

http://www.northwestoregonrock.com/ss/gorgeice-s.pdf

Looks like there's potential for multiple other moderate lines there. You by chance get a look at any of them, aside from the one you said had some sketchy icicles hanging above it?

I have not climbed ice in the Gorge, which is why I have so many questions.

Edited by calford

Was there the past two days. Both sides are fat as all hell and were getting fatter today. Roped up and climbed the left side, placed 3 screws, belayed up high to the left, escaped left and downclimbed. Ice was thick enough for a v-thread but didn't have the tool...

The right side was fun also, long traverse right through crazy 4" diameter iced over slide alder then easy down climbing. SO AWESOME!