Changing Gun Laws

Fairweather

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freedom requires equal treatment under the law and equality of opportunity, it doesn't 'accommodate' it.

FW's misunderstanding of the value of equality, and the strawman it necessarily generates, is the number one excuse for opposing the value of equality in this country.

Our system has been gamed by the haves to increase for increase income disparity for decades, primarily in the form of a regressive tax structure, so that's the unhealthy condition our nation currently enjoys.

Rising income disparity and the erosion of the middle class's basic financial security is a huge problem in this country - perhaps our biggest. We're going to have to take it on at some point, and sooner is usually better than later when fixing systemic problems that are worsening.

As usual, TTK's poor reading comprehension is matched only by his lagging academic accomplishments. Note, I said "tension," and nowhere did I use the word "accommodate," which you improperly attributed to me. (Exactly who is building a strawman here?) If your version of equality were only about economic opportunities and justice under the law, well, we'd already be standing on the same piece of ground. We all know that you're more of an "outcomes" type of fella. Freedom--particularly economic freedom--is anathema to equality for many of the very reasons you stated in the latter, barely lucid portion of your rant. Not really a shocking proposition. Since you seem to lack the ambition to acquire a proper education, I suggest you examine the Freedom-Equality Model of Political Variations in Milton Rokeach's The Nature of Human Values.