[TR] Video Peak - Rogers Pass 11/22/2013 - 11/25/2013

PowderGangster

Trip: Video Peak - Rogers Pass 11/22/2013 -

Date: 11/25/2013

Trip Report:

Took a quick trip around the province for work last week. I know that lots of people here like to hit the Pass at some point during the winter so I thought it was appropriate to update the conditions. With the whacky weather on the coast making for a powderless start to the season it was time to head out for a little ski where there is some snow.

A big storm dropped a foot of snow up high in Rogers pass last week that was on top of the 3 feet or so of base that has quietly accumulated there.

Came in from Golden meeting a buddy at the crack of 9am. The roads were rubbish and I was pretty gripped getting up to the discovery centre.

It was the perfect time to get into the alpine a cooling trend and no snow for 3 days. It was off to Video peak a classic ski line. This is a classic run repeat classic aka busy but so worth it. Short approach and great fall line skiing.

[img:center]http://powdergangster.ca/wp-content/uploads/videopeak.jpg[/img]

The snow was silky and smooth. The early season is such a tease with the short days we wanted to hit another full lap but the light was fading and it was only 2:30.

[img:center]http://powdergangster.ca/wp-content/uploads/RogersPass-17.jpg[/img]

Heading for the valley we made it back to the car in a little under an hour. Just in time to sit in my car for 7 hours back to Vancouver wondering how transports drive 120km/h in the dark.

I have toured now in all the major areas in the province and by far Rogers Pass is where its at. Worth a trip up there if you are willing to deal with the drive and a little bushwacking. New storms could make things interesting as it is likely to bury some surface hoar. There have been indications of some alpine instabilities which could surface with additional loading.

Permits go into effect November 26th. More importantly this winter make sure you check out Geo Backcountry - Rogers pass Google earth Map

Follow this adventure and watch for more this winter. Powdergangster.ca

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic