Bustin' Into the North - Becky Guide Outdated?

Ben Beckerich

Howdy

Looking for some intro peaks in the North Cascades... never been up there, and want to solo a line or two before a bigger trip later this winter.

I'm starting my investigations with the peaks that are closest to the east and west ends of the highway. My Green doesn't have a lot of peaks I'm looking at on the topo and googearth. Are the names different, or are they really not in there? My copy is copywrite 1971... how much has been added since then?

And if anyone has any suggestions for good soloable routes on peaks with shorter approaches, I'm all ears- half day's skin on the road, couple hours from the road, or less, ideally. Easier technical climbing -

Thanks

-Ben

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you only looking in the green CAG? Everything north of Hwy 20 is in red/Vol 3.

You can preview all the CAGs on google books if you want to see if it's what you're looking for.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5S0EVRXtK6YC&lpg=PA1&dq=cascade%20alpine%20guide&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q&f=false

It would probably be helpful to have the newer editions, given that the highway was not even finished until 1972. Unless you think beta is for suckers or something.

Yea, just looking at the routes south of the 20, as I only own the Green and White. Definitely need to get a Red, obviously, as it's half of the area I'm looking to expand into. In my 1971 Green, none of the peaks south of 20 east of Rainy Pass are listed (or are listed under different names?). As far as I can tell, Liberty Bell is the easternmost listed peak.

Which end of the highway was completed first? Maybe that was still fairly uncharted territory over there in 71

Guess it's time to buy some new books..

Howdy

Looking for some intro peaks in the North Cascades... never been up there, and want to solo a line or two before a bigger trip later this winter.

-Ben

Simmer down Hoss. You were posting about where to get avi instruction earlier this year. I would suggest a little slower intro than soloing "easy" climbs in the North Cascades is warranted. Build up some skills with partners before going it alone.

Howdy

-Ben

Simmer down Hoss. You were posting about where to get avi instruction earlier this year. I would suggest a little slower intro than soloing "easy" climbs in the North Cascades is warranted. Build up some skills with partners before going it alone.

Oh? What's that look like?