Dolomites hike-up/scrambles?

I'm planning on being in Germany next September and was planning on popping down to the Austria or northern Italy with my wife. I'd like to do some hike-up or scrambling peaks. Any suggestions? Also, we're thinking of doing a hut-to-hut backpacking trips (around 4-5 days). Are there any hut-to-hut trips with good mountain scrambles along the way?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dolomites are chock full of full service huts/rifugios. I think it would be difficult to do a multi-day hiking trip without having the opportunity to hike or scramble up a few peaks.

There's a book called "Walking in the Dolomites" which is helpful in putting together hiking routes, but doesn't have scrambling info. Despite their stigma here, there are via feratta routes which might be worth looking into. I believe they are remnants of the wars. I'd bet many scrambles have a few ladder rungs here and there, or might even be considered via ferrata routes, so I wouldn't let the term turn you off from checking something out unless you are an absolute purist.

I wasn't there long and had a sick travel partner, so just hiked around a bit, but I hope that helps a little. There's an expat in Munich who has posted some excellent Dolomite climbing reports here, hopefully he'll pipe in with some specific recommendations for you. If you happen through Bolzano/Bozen check out Messner's Mountain Museum, it's in an old castle and is worth a visit. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Jake, its all good. There are even outfits that will ship your suitcases from wherever you take off to wherever you finish...so no need to do a loop. Go from one end to the other...

Personally I loved the Brenta Dolomites, little less busy very dramatic. No need for cars either, but the schedule changes in September so sometimes things are a little less frequent.

MVS is the dude for that stuff, but after 4 multi week/month trips I have some experience as well.

Start your research and post your questions here, I will add this to my watched thread.

The dolomites are made for what you are after, and there is no reason why you couldnt have private rooms for your entire trip.

Cheers