Easy scramble tick list.

tcweiskopf

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does "mellow and solo" mean less than 5th class? This is my short list, Mt. Baker highway or highway 20 objectives.

North Twin- the approach is a pain sometimes, but the scrambling is second to none. Views of Baker and the sisters range are good, views of the clearcuts not so much.

Black Peak- the quality of the scrambling is not awesome, but the route as a whole and the views from the summit are in my opinion one of the best. You are standing on the cascade crest, and the differences between the east and the west slopes are striking from this vantage point.

Tommyhoi- the Smoot guidebook refers to this as possibly the best alpine scramble in the N. Cascades. Not sure if I totally agree, but it is very good and a feasible solo trek. Some people talk about getting unnerved toward the summit, but I'm not sure why. It's not terribly exposed, the rock is generally sound and the scrambling is easy.

Silverstar- if you are OK with solo travel on a very mellow glacier, this is a good one too.

Ruth- again a very mellow glacier, one that many (maybe most?) do not rope up for in the right conditions. The route itself is not special, but the views of Shuksan are.

These are all good suggestions, especially Ruth (watch for the big crevasse) and Tomyhoi. If you work up to fourth class, I would add Corteo and Shahale to your short list. These both have good climbing and fantastic position. For the largest vertical gain on a trail (6200') in the State head to Crater Mtn. A little bit of class 3, but mostly hiking, if I remember right. A former lookout site, so you can see far and wide.

The Monte Cristo range has a lot of fun scrambles as well. The top of my list is the West Ridge of Columbia (good cutthroat fishing in Twin lakes below), but Del Campo, Gothic, Sperry, and Vesper are all worth doing.

On your way north from OR, you could climb Pinnacle Peak in the Tatoosh range of MRNP, though it is a short route and often crowded. Great view of the mountain though.

And lastly....

If the road is open next summer, you must climb up to the Three Fingers Lookout!