Early ice

nordicpunk

So I am new to Seattle and was wondering if some of you veterans out there could tell me where the ice usually forms up first. I have 2 days off coming this weekend and am really looking forward to scouting some ice with the recent cold temps (usually have 1-2 days off a month so you can imagine my excitement!). Am I jumping the gun or are there some possibilities?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, 1st... get the Washington Ice book. Second, dial your expectations DOWN a bit. Much of what's in the book barely comes in. Usually, ice is in between mid Jan to end of Feb around the state. Alpental area varies a ton and is short season. Longest season is usually Banks Lank. Right in the middle? Strobach down by Yakima, White Pass.

There's always Glacier Ice but that's really best in the late summer... it's starting to fill in right now so you'll lose a bunch. Many of the glaciers have a bit of ice, but the lower coleman seems to be the fun spot to go to.

Good luck!

Ground water....hasnt rained since June...

Alpine this weekend....tough around these parts, forecast for 1500m is into the double digits (celsius)

Before G pipes in with his radiational cooling....thats about to be shut down as well

goes_wcan_1070_100.jpg

To climb in November you need an arctic outbreak and all we got was a little breeze

Pretty good climbing around Alpental today. Many of the slabby WI2-3 look climbable.12cm screws were the ticket. Saw some guys headed for source lake climbs. Not sure how fat those routes were. From across the lake the conditions looked a little stiffer than my crew of beginners was ready for. Great time had by all.