best hard sport routes near seattle

fullofit

What are some of your favorite 5.12 and up sport routes near Seattle? Specifically those that I could project pretty easily; fun, safe, and hopefully not always crowded.

I spent some time working chronic last year, and some of the other stuff on WW1, but there are just too many people there so often.

Thanks,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sport climbing near seattle that you can make projects of? sounds like you are stuck around exit 32/38 with your best bet at the WW1 wall. But I couldn't touch a 5.11 on the best days so what do I know?

but in an effort to be helpful

PM Rad and he may show you around an area he as been developing that has yet to attract crowds. Not sure if it haas the grades you seek.

PM wallstein, he is a rad climber who knows his stuff.

There is some "hidden" cave somewhere on the middle fork of the snoqualmie that is supposed to be overhanging (go figure) sport climbing. really tough stuff from what I read a long time ago. There was some thread here somewhere about how to find this spot. hard to find and may involve some good old fashion cascade approaching. Still a crag day trip though, but you may be going through some prickly bastards to get there.

Hopefully someone who actually is helpful will chime in.

good luck

Routes at X38 Far Side:

Shangri-La:

Skullduggery - 12b

Blade Runner - 12c?

Hypertension - 12a (needs a tiny bit of scrubbing on the bottom few feet.

On the way to Shangri-La:

Franklin's Tower - 12a

At X38 Nevermind:

Culture Shock - 12a

The Goblet (I've never been on this) -12b

Under Arrest - 12b (got harder when a block at the opening fell off a few years ago).

In the Woods Area of X32/Little Si:

Lay of the Land - 12a

Digitalis - 12b (I've never been on it but it looks good and I hear it's cleaner than it looks.

Though not 12, there are some excellent 11s on the right side of the Gun Show:

11c - Not sure what the name is, straight up from 10c ramp.

11b - Tea Time, just right of the one above.

11c or so - Match Stick - just right of Tea Time. New this year.

The Actual Cave has some hard routes.

There's a 13a in the upper Mt Washington Area. Bit of a hike up there and there may even be snow there now. It's quite overhanging and may stay dry. I've never been on this route.

There is a giant cave at X38 that isn't in the guide and looks to have several hard, steep lines.

There's WW2 at Si. Others can provide beta for that one.

send pm for beta and maybe a tour if weather improves.

cheers,

Rad

Just because it's hard for me or you, 12's nor 13's are nothing to write home about at this day and age (unless you OS some XXX on gear). And if you go to a lot of areas across Europe young dudes and dudets are flashing these grades left and right on any given day. So instead posting spew nonsense asking about "hard 12 and 13's" making himself look all mighty though chest beating and spray, young skywalker could have asked more humbly what are some good routes to project around Seattle in 12 to 13 range.

Just because it's hard for me or you, 12's nor 13's are nothing to write home about at this day and age (unless you OS some XXX on gear). And if you go to a lot of areas across Europe young dudes and dudets are flashing these grades left and right on any given day. So instead posting spew nonsense asking about "hard 12 and 13's" making himself look all mighty though chest beating and spray, young skywalker could have asked more humbly what are some good routes to project around Seattle in 12 to 13 range.

But, you gotta be the douche who points it out. As long as he's not collecting unemployment and food stamps to feed his climbing addiction, who gives a crap :)

Not very close to Seattle but worth a day trip, umbrella rock off lake cavanagh road has a handful of 12's and 11+ that are good and you'll likely have the crag to yourself. A couple of them still need their first redpoint too which may or may not be an added attraction. The established pitches top out around 12a since that's about where my limit is at the moment but there is an excellent 12c that need to be done by someone and a roof problem that we haven't been able to decipher on a top rope yet 5.13?

5.13's?

I was once told by a self-absorbed, pretentious and presumptuous prognosticator on this here web-thang that I'd never be capable of climbing 5.13.

Well....anything's possible now that I know how to Donkeylock to a figure-pi!

and...you still haven't proved me wrong... :fahq:

I will gladly tell you one more time...YOU can't climb 5.13...

Edited by RuMR

5.13's?

I was once told by a self-absorbed, pretentious and presumptuous prognosticator on this here web-thang that I'd never be capable of climbing 5.13.

T-A=0. Still haven't shown the goods.

One of the best spots for sport climbing in WA is Equinox crag. Pretty much 11a and up.

T-A=0.

Bob, as an engineer, I've been thinking about this.

If Talk - Action is equal to zero...if we solve for Talk, adding action to both sides of the equation, it would follow that :

T=A

that is,

Talk=Action

What do you think?

T-A=0.

Bob, as an engineer, I've been thinking about this.

If Talk - Action is equal to zero...if we solve for Talk, adding action to both sides of the equation, it would follow that :

T=A

that is,

Talk=Action

What do you think?

Me thinks that this whole thread should be moved rather quickly to spray, where it belonged in the first place. The best bet to get local route info is still your local crag.

Where's Umbrella Rock (more detail than off Cavanaugh Road)?

Not very close to Seattle but worth a day trip, umbrella rock off lake cavanagh road has a handful of 12's and 11+ that are good and you'll likely have the crag to yourself. A couple of them still need their first redpoint too which may or may not be an added attraction. The established pitches top out around 12a since that's about where my limit is at the moment but there is an excellent 12c that need to be done by someone and a roof problem that we haven't been able to decipher on a top rope yet 5.13?

Equinox is awesome, but the only current allowed access is by mountain bike.

5.13's?

T-A=0. Still haven't shown the goods.

One of the best spots for sport climbing in WA is Equinox crag. Pretty much 11a and up.

There's info among the garbage that might be useful. It just takes some sifting. Brandon or I would be glad to provide info on the routes we've developed in the Skagit and X38 areas. PM either of us to bypass the circus. Someone else can provide details on equinox.

what do you consider to be close enough to Seattle?

At index there is 12 gauge IQ which climbs more like your typical sport route than your typical index route and the fifth force which doesn't

Equonix, Newhalem and nason ridge are all worth checking out.